Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RPM\'s and gear\'s during twisties

Ok, here is the deal. Over the Holiday weekend I went riding in some heavy twisties and noticed that the majority of the time I never left 2nd gear except on the straights. My question to everyone is in which gear do you usually run in through the twisties when they are back to back and sharp as Hell? I was maintaining speeds of 65 to 90 and third seemed to bog coming out of some of the turns compared to 2nd. Anyone have any suggestions? These were not wide sweepers.......I am talking about SHARP turns. Also since I am posting in this forum you should already know that it is a GSXR 1000. Anyway...just looking for some thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: RPM\'s and gear\'s during twisties

go 2 up on the rear sprocket...is a good starting point. If you need more out the twisties go down 1 on the frt sprocket. Be smooth with the trottle!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts

I stay in 2nd gear all the time in twisty stuff. Second gear can go over 100 mph if i needed it, but I don't

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts

Problem with staying in 2nd is too much engine breaking and I slow down too much, so I get too much on/off the throttle. I try to be as smooth as I can and maintain speed through the bend so at a minium I try to stay in 3rd and hold my speed. I work on the addage tha the smoother I am the faster I`ll go.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Yeah, 2nd most of the time for me. My gripe with the 05 is that it was a weak bottom end (compared to my 01). On my 01, I can use that monsterous torque to shoot me out a slow speed sweeper. My 05 feels comparatively week (low in the revs), however, only till <6500 rpm, then the shit gets nasty, rear end slidin' and gettin loose. But it HAS to be above 6500rpm because below that, the shit feels WEAK. 2nd gear is good for anything in the 70-110mph range. I have some onboard footage (link is in the bottom of my sig, the 3rd "X" from the left if you wanna check it out) of the local canyons and you can see that most of the time, i'm in 2nd. When I do shift to 3rd, I am already at 100+, so most of the time i'm in 2nd. I may go up two teeth out back soon.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts

and that is why sprockets of different size were made... go -1front, +2 rear and you will have enough rpm to be in 3rd.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

and that is why sprockets of different size were made... go -1front, +2 rear and you will have enough rpm to be in 3rd.
Okay, but wouldn't that have the same effect as running higher RPM's in second? If you are running 6 grand in second gear to achieve a speed and you change the sprocket haven't you just achieved the same goal but in a different gear? With this being my first liter bike I am not sure, but it seems to defeat the whole purpose if you achieve the same speed and RPM just in a different gear. It will also be more wheelie prone and spin easier, correct? I would think that would be good for drag racing but what advantage does it have in the twisties? Wouldn't this make the bike jerk more with the lower gearing making everything more touchy? Just looking for a little education before I actually change anything.

With the smaller CC bikes I haven't had a problem running through the gears at the power bands. Maybe just have to get used to it with it being a liter bike?

·
Banned
5,032 Posts

Lower the gearing AND stay in 2nd. That way you'll be able to rocket out of the corners. I run -1f, +1r on my 02 and it stay's in 2nd most all the time in the twisties.

·
Banned
14,060 Posts

4th or 5th gear with the bike at 1500 RPM or was it 2nd at 10000.

I can't remember what I learned at Keith Code it was so long ago and I am hooked on meth and now my teeth are falling out.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Sorry guys, but this is just to funny. Who ever recommend to change gearing because of some twisties should sell his bike know and buy a bicycle much saver.It's almost not worth it to response but that's to funny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts