Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding some of the posted stuff and I heard that 1991 GSXR-1100 heads are not that good. So my question was what is the best and safe high RPM to take the bike too. I thought 10K was fine but I heard it is not good at all. So what do you guys think...

thanks\
jimmy

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
10k should be fine, depending on what type/length of riding you are doing,10k in first gear probably isn't a great idea. What do you mean by the "heads are no good" there is a problem with certain cam profiles shooting out the shims under stress, but that is mostly due to shoddy materials used. Most performance shops, would probably prefer the early head that was not shim adjusted, but there are ways around this, just spend a little more for better retainers, etc... but it shouldn't really matter unless you plan to build your motor.
-Karl

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I don't know if it's bad or good. I shift mine at 11,500. It's still pulling hard.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Are you guys basing the shift points on "how it feels" or did you get it dynoed and focused on the drop-off point on the graph? Just wondering.

·
Registered
468 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
Are you guys basing the shift points on "how it feels" or did you get it dynoed and focused on the drop-off point on the graph? Just wondering.<hr></blockquote>

There is a guy who advertises in the back of MC magazines that assembles literature kits for all years, makes & models. I can't recall his name right now but I'll look it up at home. I ordered a set for my 1100G and it had all the old motorcycle magazine reviews, mod projects, etc. I used the dyno graphs from those to determine where to shift. This works, of course, only if your bikke is still stock, or close.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: DJ ]</p>

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
It has a lot to due with the motor. That might be good for stock. A dyno is the best way I agree.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I shift at 11,000(redline is 10,500), and have had no problems.

BTW, DJ that is a sweet 86, I used to have one that colour, now I have the blue and white one.

·
Registered
468 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
Would that be Ian Smith Information? www.MCReports.com<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that's the guy! Thanks, Simon.

Karl...thanks for the props. I owned a B/W 750... I actually prefer that color scheme.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts