·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just bought my first ever Suzuki:

A 2011 750 with 31k on the clock.

I'm not the kind of guy who can buy a bike and just ride it how it is so I plan to go over it and make some adjustments & post it in this thread.

It already has a full Arrow exhaust system & some R&G bits but otherwise seems stock except for replacement discs, sprockets etc.

It came to me from a dealer so it's had a service, new MOT & a wash but, having worked at a dealer myself, I'll be going over everything before taking it on the road. Plus the back tyre is squared off pretty good and I don't fancy finding out how it rides like that.

Never owned, ridden or worked on a Suzuki before so I'll be learning as I go!

Thanks for looking 🙂

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
You’re going to absolutely love that bike man. I have a 750 a, zx6r and a Daytona 675r currently and the Suzuki is the only bike that hasn’t left me scratching my head…it’s super reliable, fast and handles really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope you guys are right!
Turns out somebody fitted a K&N & a Servo Buddy.

But still has the PAIR valve & the unplugged SET valve motor in place

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Won't be needing these:

Then had a bit of a problem. Went to unplug the ignition switch and a corroded terminal broke off inside:

So I thought no big deal, I'll sort that but then I kept digging and finding more corrosion in the wiring.

And a sneaky oil leak from the stator cover I think

Then pulled the coils and found a slight leak in one of the plug wells:

So I'm a bit worried I've bought a bit of a lemon now. There's not much service history either.

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the plugs out:

Don't think they've ever been changed. 3 look quite wet and oily and one is suspiciously dry.

Took the throttle bodies off for a clean up.

The intake valves have a lot more carbon build up than I was expecting

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decided I would check the valve clearances as I have an oil leak from one of the gaskets.

This should've had the valves checked twice by now but I can't see any evidence of it having been done. The internet assured me that the clearances would be fine at this mileage but they were all pretty much on minimum and some were too tight (n)

So I took the cams & buckets out

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At least when your done she will be right, time effort £££`s well spent. Any clown can make a lemon, cleaning up their neglect is where it lies.
True. Well said. And it seems like GSXRs are a bit like lego which is good coz there's plenty of spares. Although 750 engines seem a bit thin on the ground.

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never had a bike with a wet stator.

I was thinking it was a pretty good idea until I found that the case is rotting away:

And although the cat was removed years ago, the hanger is still there!

looks like it might even weigh twice as much as it should do with all that shit on it :poop:

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
appears that bike has spent some time on wet salty roads?
Yeah, possibly used for commuting at some point by a PO. Fun for them, bad for my wallet.

Took the exhaust off and most of the slip joints are seized! Tried to free one off but the pipe is so thin that I'm worried its gonna bend. Not worth the squeeze.

Not found any crash damage at least :)

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered another harness, the guy reckons it was taken off a new bike that was getting a race harness. Only problem is it's off an L2 which is a different part number.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
yea there are 3 different main harnesses for the L1... E3, 14j30.. E33 14j40 and E28 14J30..

best guess is they are state and country specific? UK has park lights, USA has standard then Cali model which is E33 I believe, not 100% on that, thought I did read that somewhere?

cali model is going to have the charcoal canister wiring where standard USA does not, dunno bout UK if you guys use the charcoal canister gas tank fume cleaner? comes out the tank vent hose and routes through some hoses, a sensor and canister usually on subframe?

best guess would be the worst you might do is not have the parking light in the headlights if its a cali or USA model, and if you have the canister it may not have that? not sure is your VIN E28 or E3?

·
Registered
L1 750
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Arrow wanted too much money for a baffle so I paid PipeWerx 25 squids to make me one:

Exhaust valves look okay and I'm really surprised with the lack of carbon

I'm thinking the carbon on the back of the intake valves is down to the crankcase breather. Might also be the reason behind the slightly oily plugs maybe?

I don't think the chain gunk has even been cleaned out from the sprocket cover. Sprockets a bit hooked.

It's had a -1 +1 525 set on it but I think I'll go stock gearing 520 conversion.

Might not need this bit any more.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts