Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on getting new front rotors on my 92 1100. I am curious about price and which ones other people prefer. bc john gave me ferodo's phone # last year but between old computer shooting craps and now, i have lost it.
I called my local shop last year and i think they quoted me $224 a piece for suzuki parts! Hell while i am at it any preferences on chains and sprockets. should i drop 1 in front or add 2 on the back, 16000 miles on the original chain makes me nervous a bit at times!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If you decide to go with OEM parts, be sure and call Chip at Ron Ayers (1-800-888-3084)... I have yet to find anywhere else that's less expensive on OEM Suzuki stuff, even after I add in the shipping charges.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Go with Braking or Frodo for just a little bit more you'll get cast iron rotors and much better stopping. I have a 14 tooth front and a 46 rear running a 520 RK X-ring chain.
Bones

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cast irons are cool for continuous hard braking and they have trick looking anodized centers. I think it's EBC (or something like that) that makes stock style replacement rotors, but they've got slots instead of the drilled holes (I like the look of the holes and the look of shiny steel) like stock ones have.
I've recently changed to a +3t rear sprocket and it's pretty cool, I guess. I'm still adjusting to it. It feels like your in the wrong gear for a while until you get used to the sound. You'll give up your sixth gear completely, and add like a granny low (which is kind of fun). The gears in between seem (so far) like there just renamed one lower (but I'm no guru). But I still haven't made a real road trip with it yet.
I too, am running an RK x-ring chain (530) and about to put on another, making number three. They seem to hold up pretty well (but I've got nothing to compare them to) to high speed long haul commuting. They stretch right up to the tolerances set in the Hanes (or is it Clymer) manual within their warranty, when properly adjusted for slack. This last chain just got a little fried recently when I put on the new sprocket and didn't adjust the slack
. It wasted two of the rollers.
Oh well, It was stretched and almost due for replacement anyway. 16000 miles on a chain shouldn't matter so much as the condition it's in. Inspect the length, look for rust, if you see any missing or worn o-rings or missing rollers, pretty much any obvious defects, replace it. You might be surprised how far a chain can stretch and still be "good", I was.

·
Super Moderator
17,339 Posts
Check here for a chain & sprocket set dennis kirk . I ordered a RK GB530 x-ring and (2)vortex sprockets for $163 delivered.

[ 04-08-2002, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: spike52 ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I wish I had a 6th gear !!!
anyway, I'm one down on the front and didn't have to lose a link from the chain........seems fine to me.

Andy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help! ordered the D.Kirk catalog today. Does anyone know where i can go to look at new rotors and or get prices does dennis kirk carry them? I need to get some soon because i am having fork seals replaced and i want the new rotors put on at the same time to avoid a second trip to the shop. any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've just installed a new 108 link 530 RK X-ring with a new 15 tooth (stock) front sprocket to fit with a +3tooth rear sprocket and I STRONGLY URGE anyone that's going with a +3, to get a chain that has at least two more links.
That last chain was stretched farther than I thought.
O.K. if you're done laughing now, get ready to laugh again. Has anyone just turned their front sprockets around instead of replacing them? Mine was well beyond used on one side and seemed to be just fine on the other when held up against a new one. The rounded/center part wasn't/didn't-seem-to-be all that rounded either. If I didn't have a new one in my hand, I'd have been tempted.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
88/750:

I never tried that stunt... I have, however, lost a chain while going down the highway (it was a vf500 honda with about 30,000 miles on the chain and I was a cheapskate back then) and there is *no way* I would risk that again over a $15 sprocket. Maybe I'm paranoid... doesn't mean that the whole world is NOT out to get me.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I tried turning my wheel around but could'nt get the chain to hold, it just rolled around the rotor, and the caliper would'nt fit over the sprocket!

Bones

[ 04-11-2002, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Yea it was fun! After that I tried swaping the sprokets... You know that with a 46 tooth on the front and a 14 tooth on the rear you only have a top speed of 7mph at 11000rpm? Had to switch back as the front sproket kept chewing up the toes of my boots...

Bones

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by Big Whale:
Thanks for all the help! ordered the D.Kirk catalog today. Does anyone know where i can go to look at new rotors and or get prices does dennis kirk carry them? I need to get some soon because i am having fork seals replaced and i want the new rotors put on at the same time to avoid a second trip to the shop. any help will be greatly appreciated!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi guy - they've moved into bigger premises out at Lake Elsinore. Anyway, here's the stuff:

Ferodo Brake Tech
18630 Collier Ave., Suite G
Lake Elsinore, CA, 92530
USA

ph: 909-471-3476
fax:909-471-3536
email: [email protected]

I'd call Jeff before emailing him. He's pretty busy and doesn't get to his inbasket immediately. Make sure you buy a nice set of pads for them.

The guy I sold my old set of cast PMs to is slowly wrecking them with some kind of full metallic shit that would be great on stock stainless, but is way overkill on iron.

Good luck - you'll never go back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts