Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with what to do with my throttle during fast corners. I usually go almost neutral or a bit of throttle, but more throttle and less throttle seems to not work like expected.
How do I get maximum grip in a fast corner? Rolling on too hard seems to make the bike push instead of tightening the line but rolling off dosen't tighten the line either. What do you guys do? My standard is easy, lean, and roll on as much traction I have in the rear tires.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Rollin on the power will make the bike turn in better intill you get to the point were the tire are sliding... You should start working the air pressure in your tires... What are you running for PSI in the tires... Also, what tires? Some tires push wide more then others...

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pretty worn 207s... pressures range from 25-36 psi depending on how often I check them. My suspention is setup pretty much in the middle. I've been finalging a bit the rear preload... the bike kinda pushes when I take a corner fast and roll on a bit too much. I've never gotten the rear to be anywhere near squirly. and at medium throttle (ie long sweepers) I've scared myself by how fast I could confidently take them, I would go into time travel if I went faster! Like you said, I thought rolling on until the rear starts to slip was the fastest way around a corner, but it seems, mid-throttle is best? Is it just my bike?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by nowkeg:
pretty worn 207s... pressures range from 25-36 psi depending on how often I check them. My suspention is setup pretty much in the middle. I've been finalging a bit the rear preload... the bike kinda pushes when I take a corner fast and roll on a bit too much. I've never gotten the rear to be anywhere near squirly. and at medium throttle (ie long sweepers) I've scared myself by how fast I could confidently take them, I would go into time travel if I went faster! Like you said, I thought rolling on until the rear starts to slip was the fastest way around a corner, but it seems, mid-throttle is best? Is it just my bike?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Its not just your bike... it is a lot of bikes.. You need to set your sag, you really should not PLAY with your preload.

Do you know how to correctly set sag?
Do you know now to check your tires to see if they are within the heat range?

Set your sag at 30mm and then do not touch the preload, use the valves to change the way the bike rides. How much do you wiegh? I might be able to help you fix your problems on here if you can fill me in on some stuff.

Also, start your tires at about 31PSI cold everytime you ride (you should check them every ride. as tires get old and the air temp changes, the tire can gain or loose air. Once you have been out ridding a good pace that you feel good at, you should stop and check your air and a good starting point is to gain 10% PSI... so if you start at 31cold then you should end up with about 34hot.. understand?

John

·
Registered
617 Posts
Listen to the man.

You can not believe what type of changes you can get with just tire pressure. All I have to say is baby steps with the suspension.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yes baby steps... I should have said that... lol

Turn your valves in 1/8 turns at a time... you will see big changes with that small of a movement.

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okie dokie... It's too hot to ride the gixxer now, ya know the engine heat on your butt and the great windshield which isn't so great on hot days in traffic. So back to the standard. I'll re-set up the whole bike fer Christ sakes! Sag, to pressure to all else. My standard is nowhere near this sensitive to set-up. Back to the drawing boards I guess. I think I'll break out one of those notebooks and start a log. Once a scientist, always a scientist... <sigh>

Thanks all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts