Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode a \'99 Katana 750 today and was shocked!

This morning at the shop I work at on Saturdays, the said bike was dropped off for a carb cleaning and suspension adjustment. The owner was very specific in his instructions to ride the bike after I fixed it (not that I wouldn't have anyway). After I did the work, I took the bike on a high-speed burn down Gothard street in HB. Prior to riding the bike, I anticipated that the Kat would be a sterile version of my 86 Gixxer. Wrong! This thing was quite fierce. It pulled harder down low and in the midrange than my bike does. All that I noticed was that it started to run out of puff (slightly) at high rpms, and that it felt heavy. The former doesn't seem like anything that a jet kit/pipe/set of pods wouldn't cure (if you like high, narrow powerbands like I do). If I ever replace my motor again, I think I'll go for the latest model Kat 750 motor I can pay for, and then cam it up myself.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Re: Rode a \'99 Katana 750 today and was shocked!

IS that the GSXF750 ? The motor they used in those bikes is quite strong as well....
S.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Correct. It's the gsxf750. The motor IS quite strong. It created the illusion that the Katana is faster than my gixxer because the power is so readily available at low revs.

·
Registered
90 Posts

If you changed to the gsxr cams then youd lose the power down low that you like so much on the katana, and itd be just like a gixxer then. I know, i did this on my bandit

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Point taken, Edmonds. And thanks for the reply. I'm sort of on the fence about which I like better--low end pull, or high end screaming ability. I think I may just buy a Katana, and ride them both!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts