Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
So now that you have done a few rounds, you still think you can make an AMA grid?
As quickly as I hoped? Hell no. Over time? Possibly......, but only as a back marker. Racing is def an eye opener to just how fast even the top expert guys are, not to mention what those AMA guys put down. :facepalm And then there is the COST of everything. To get to that pace is a lot of time and money spent.

Me and MoJoe already discussed this in the NE whore thread. He gave me an "I told you so" :lmao

I am quite happy to be able to say Im out there and attempting it though. Thats more than a lot of riders can say. I love this racing stuff no matter where I end up with it! :fact

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
That is the mindset to have... Just have fun with it. None of us are gonna ever make a living off of it, so when it stops being fun, stop doing it.

My fastest NJMP Thunderbolt lap time would qualify me anywhere from 15th-20th in SS, and I haven't even gotten to do an expert race yet! Once I get another race bike, I am gonna come out swinging.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
That is the mindset to have... Just have fun with it. None of us are gonna ever make a living off of it, so when it stops being fun, stop doing it.

My fastest NJMP Thunderbolt lap time would qualify me anywhere from 15th-20th in SS, and I haven't even gotten to do an expert race yet! Once I get another race bike, I am gonna come out swinging.
Spot on!

Nice! Making a return next season perhaps? :dunno

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Depends on funding...

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
My goal at one time was to make the show in an ama race. Now it is to be relatively competitive in the series next year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
baby steps man, baby steps :)

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
My goal at one time was to make the show in an ama race. Now it is to be relatively competitive in the series next year.

There are no baby steps left from.where I am. National level expert racing top 5 next step is ama. There is nothing else lol

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
ok, full stride steps man, full stride steps. :biggrin

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Had a great weekend of racing with CCS Racing at Summit Point on June 29-30. It was calling for rain all weekend, but the racing gods were looking out for us and held off all the bad weather.

My goal for the weekend was to be more consistent and I accomplished just that. I had been setting personal best lap times the previous race weekends, but the times were all over the place and I wanted to eliminate that. The true test of consistency was during the GTU Am and I produced results! I was consistently in the low to mid 1.21's for 12 laps. Unfortunately, I crashed out on the last lap, second to last corner (T9) and gave up a 6th place finish. I saved a highside, but that pushed me into the grass where I dirt biked the machine to within inches of the pavement where the back suddenly swung around on me putting me down. Luckily damage was minimal and I was unhurt.

My best lap was a 1.21.023, which is nearly two seconds faster than my last personal best lap time at Summit.

My best placing was 5th in Rookies Cup GTU where I was beaten to the line by 1ft to take away a 4th place finish.

Full results:

GTO Am: 6th of 13
MWSB: 11th of 21
MWSS: 9th of 21
GTU Am: 12th (crashed out from 6th) of 19
Rookies Cup GTU: 5th of 10

*all starts at back of grid, minus GTU.

Huge thanks to my team, No Agenda Racing, and to all of my sponsors, DC-Moto.net, AMSOIL, Leo Vince, Lingo Networks, Go Pro, Race Tech Suspension, and Route 21 Racing Apparel for making this weekend happen. :cheers

1016303_351632281631397_1009257284_n.jpg

*still need to get my upper body down and over more. Additional pics to follow! :punk

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Quick update:

The 2013 season has been a TON of fun and I have learned so much, but also realized I have a loooong way to go. For starters, track day fast does NOT equal race fast. lol. Those expert guys (see Mark Miller Jr) are stupid fast. And finally, to be fast, it takes lots and lots of money. I have not done as well as I expected to do BEFORE I entered my first race, but I am decently happy with where Im at after Ive been in a a few races and seen what its all about. Ive progressed a ton and put down some decent lap times. For that Im happy. Im still looking for that wood though! Here is where I stand as of now:

I have not entered every race available for these classes, but then again I doubt everyone else has either)

'13 Rookie Season in the Mid Atlantic Amateur
----------------------------------------------------
+ Overall Amateur- 73rd of 220
+ GTU Am- 36th of 106
+ Rookies Cup GTU- 10th of 45
+ Middleweight Superbike Am - 25th of 107
+ Middleweight Supersport Am- 38th of 121

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #154

·
The Husbeast
1,318 Posts
I just read through this thread and all of the reports. This experience is going to be very valuable to quite a few people who want to break into racing bikes. I'm sure many of those people have similar thoughts as you did at the beginning. It takes a long time to get fast in this sport (I'm certainly not, yet). I'm glad you realized your dream or racing. I am also glad it was a humbling experience for you so you can learn and pass on the knowledge. You look pretty good out there to me, but what do I know, right. Keep having fun out there, Mike.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #157

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #158

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #159

Attachments

141 - 159 of 159 Posts
About this Discussion
158 Replies
24 Participants
!ThatGuy!
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing