Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,082 Posts
If you get the chance go check out a race weekend some time this year. Gate fees are cheap and you can just go and watch.

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,170 Posts
FWIW, here is my Hawk during my 1st year of racing:

And this is what it looked like just prior to a connecting rod snapping:
Wow, I didn't know the roads were paved yet back when you started racing!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Have decided racing an sv650 is the way to go. Would like to buy a race prepped one but cant find any good used ones right now. Soooo, going to start converting mine to race ready once I have some track days under my belt. Already have a PCIII, Yoshi exhaust, 520 conversion,

1) upgrade the suspension to Traxxion emulators/damper in forks and get a Ohlins or Penske rear shock.

2) upgrade to steel front brake lines +/ $100

3) steering dampener +/- $500 :(

4) body work (full and new) +/- $700, (full/used) +/ $400, (tail only) +/- $250 ( i think I am allowed to run naked with only a tail section as long as I have a mounting for the numbers?)

5) can either buy some aftermarket rear sets or get risers for OEM ones +/- $400

6) aftermarket clipons for crashability +/- 165

Basically just going to purchase all allowable suspension upgrades for superstock for track days and then get some skins if needed to race with. I will worry about the engine performance aspect later. Need to get myself faster first.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Have decided racing an sv650 is the way to go. Would like to buy a race prepped one but cant find any good used ones right now. Soooo, going to start converting mine to race ready. Already have a PCIII, Yoshi exhaust, 520 conversion,

1) upgrade the suspension to Traxxion emulators/damper in forks and get a zx10 rear
shock re sprung for my weight and bike ( anyone know where I can send the shock in to get adjusted or w/e?) +/-$350 (would a zx10r rear shock exclude me from supersport races? The rule book was not clear if that was an allowable modification for CCS. However, for superbike it specified that shock replacements or relocation's are allowed?)
It would depend on the rule book. for WERA it should be legal. Teh shock can be replaced with one of the same style. In this case a coil over with reservoir style shock for both.

qustion is, do you "need" said upgrades? You havnt even tried going fast on what you have yet. ;).
2) upgrade to steel front brake lines +/ $100

3) steering dampener +/- $500 :(
Damper. No extra N. But regardless does the bike not have one OEM? If so the stock one is probably fine at first. I raced a LONG time on a stock damper with zero issues. It has to have one by rules though.
4) body work (full and new) +/- $700, (full/used) +/ $400, (tail only) +/- $250 ( i think I am allowed to run naked with only a tail section as long as I have a mounting for the numbers?)
You will have to have some sort of a lower to catch fluids by the rules.
5) can either buy some aftermarket rear sets or get risers for OEM ones +/- $400

6) aftermarket clipons for crashability +/- 165
how about buy new ones when you destroy the stock ones. No need to toss good parts now if you are on a budget.
Basically just going to purchase all allowable suspension upgrades for superstock for track days and then get some skins if needed to race with. I will worry about the engine performance aspect later. Need to get myself faster first.
That last line applies to a LOT of what you are trying to buy. go out there and do what you can with what you have first. Then as you feel something is holding you back, replace it, or if you break it, replace it.

You dont need a full on superbike to do trackdays. You dont need a full on superbike to enter racing. You can do it on a mostly stock bike, and do just fine as a first time novice

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
OP - good luck and everything, but you do realise that it may take years to get up to race pace? Also, you may hate riding on the track - It's totally different to road riding.

Also, if you're only mid pack club racing, don't expect discounts from anyone. You're just another bum with a bike.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
:lmao

Not to mention some people need to understand, sponsorship only has a little bit to do with results.

It has MORE to do with what you can offer the sponsor in the way of exposure. ;)

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Not that kind of exposure, and that picture is not legal outside red R :bitchslap... even if it is a dude

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
OP - good luck and everything, but you do realise that it may take years to get up to race pace? Also, you may hate riding on the track - It's totally different to road riding.

Also, if you're only mid pack club racing, don't expect discounts from anyone. You're just another bum with a bike.
Hey it never hurts to get your name out there and try. Who knows, someone might bite and give a discount or two.:punk

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It would depend on the rule book. for WERA it should be legal. Teh shock can be replaced with one of the same style. In this case a coil over with reservoir style shock for both. qustion is, do you "need" said upgrades? You havnt even tried going fast on what you have yet. ;). Damper. No extra N. But regardless does the bike not have one OEM?

Awesome, thanks. The stock springs are horrible on the sv650. I have already replaced them w/ .90 sonic springs and 15wt oil. Will prob hold off on the Traxxion equipment though until I really need it. Unfortunately, there is no stock steering damper on the sv650 that I know of. However the sv1000 has one and might be a simple bolt on for the 650. But then again Im not sure if that will dq me from supersport/superstock. I need to read that rule book again.

how about buy new ones when you destroy the stock ones. No need to toss good parts now if you are on a budget.
Thats what Im going to do for now :thumbup

That last line applies to a LOT of what you are trying to buy. go out there and do what you can with what you have first. Then as you feel something is holding you back, replace it, or if you break it, replace it.
Yup, most of those goodies are just things I WANT to buy eventually. Most of my money is gonna go towards track days and tires for a few months. IF im race ready by then Ill go ahead and get race bodywork. The suspension does need to be paid attention to though on a sv650 as its crap stock, the other goodies can wait.

·
Wants to blow a dude named Benjamin
808 Posts
If you race WERA you have to have a damper.

They only things I had on my bike when I raced was a pipe, SS lines, and bodywork. I bought the bodywork to go racing but the other stuff was for my street bike. I would definitely hold off all upgrades until you start finding the limits of the bike. Think of all the track time you can get for the upgrade costs? Seat time, seat time, seat time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I race an SV650, great bike to start on and lots of fun to squeeze all the power out of it. A wise man once said, you want to learn how to go really fast? Ride a slow bike. I'm not going to be much help with how you can cut corners and use other bike's shocks and stuff like that but if you are going to ride an SV remember it is an entry level bike. The stock suspension is horrible, it is the absolute bare minimum Suzuki could get away with. Lots of people swap out the front end for this reason. This would preclude you from certain race classes so be sure you read the rules closely before changing something for a class you want to run in.

No disrespect to you but you are coming off as a bit of an asshole, why don't you just ride rather than talk about all the things you are going to do. Just ask some basic questions so you are ready for your first track day whether it is a race school or a track day and have fun with it. But to talk about sponsorship or going pro at this stage is a bit premature. Definitely talk to your employer and any business acquaintances and see if they want to help you out. There isn't a lot of money in this sport and definitely not a lot of FOC to be had.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
No disrespect to you but you are coming off as a bit of an asshole, why don't you just ride rather than talk about all the things you are going to do. Just ask some basic questions so you are ready for your first track day whether it is a race school or a track day and have fun with it. But to talk about sponsorship or going pro at this stage is a bit premature. Definitely talk to your employer and any business acquaintances and see if they want to help you out. There isn't a lot of money in this sport and definitely not a lot of FOC to be had.
No disrespect taken because I believe you are misunderstanding me. However, I dont look at someone who has high aspirations as an asshole :dunno. Anyways, there is no way in hell I think I am going pro (where did I say that anyways?) or even going to be sponsored anytime soon, if ever! However, I would be a fool not to TRY to get discounts/free money to help me along the way. The worst thing the companies can say is no, right? To me I see nothing wrong with that. I just want to ride and hopefully race, so any help I can get along the way I will take. I also want to help those who help me. Im not selfish enough to just take ,take ,take and that is not how I am going to present myself to potential sponsors. I want to help them and get their name out there.

So if you see all that as me being an asshole, o well. Guess we just have different opinions.

Why not talk about future plans and ideas? This allows more experienced individuals to correct me where I am wrong and lead me down the right path. Besides its fun to hear peoples ideas and experiences so I can learn from them. By talking about my future aspirations and ideas, there were several people who let me know this or that was the wrong way and what to do instead (you included). So im not sure why this thread has irritated you so much and on more than one occasion, but if it is so much of a bother to you, then why keep reading it? :dunno With no disrespect to you, I think you come off as an asshole... Maybe we just misunderstand each other. Who knows? I am just here to learn and prepare myself the best I can from people with collectively the most knowledge and experience about the topic.

If you think I am just talking out my ass and will not follow through with what I am claiming, then you are dead wrong sir. I am not just talking to talk. I am talking to get proper advice and instruction for what I am moving forward to DO!. :cheers

Also, I plan to get some trackdays under my belt before I start throwing money into my bike for racing I am not even doing yet. Those were just some ideas of parts I will want eventually. However, I am DEFINITELY going to upgrade the forks (well I actually already have w/ the Sonic Springs and oil) and get a Penske or Ohlins rear shock, used. Other than that everything can wait until I get much much faster on the track :punk

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread, but it seems Joe and Dave answered everything pretty accurately. Do some track days, get into the advanced group, and then get your race license and get out there. I averaged $1,000/weekend last season, with some of the closer races being less expensive, and the further ones being more obviously.

Racing has a much different mindset than track days, and you will quickly find out if you have that mindset the first time you dive bomb into T1 alongside 30 other amateurs all trying to be first into the corner, elbows and legs banging into the other riders and bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Sorry I missed this thread, but it seems Joe and Dave answered everything pretty accurately. Do some track days, get into the advanced group, and then get your race license and get out there. I averaged $1,000/weekend last season, with some of the closer races being less expensive, and the further ones being more obviously.

Racing has a much different mindset than track days, and you will quickly find out if you have that mindset the first time you dive bomb into T1 alongside 30 other amateurs all trying to be first into the corner, elbows and legs banging into the other riders and bikes.
Thanks for the input! April 1st cant get here soon enough for my first trackday. Will hopefully be the first of many tracks days and, with high hopes, will lead to racing. Feel free to give any advice you deem necessary or helpful. :cheers

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I will echo probably the most important sentiment posted here, and that is to leave your ego at the gates. Not saying this describes you, but as a coach we see this all the time. You aren't gonna set any lap records, and more than likely you aren't going to blow anyone away with your speed right off the bat. Learn the track, get your body position to be second nature, and start off slowly so you can actually think while riding. You won't learn anything if you are constantly going into corners and having "oh shit" moments during your first day.

·
Registered
755 Posts
41 - 60 of 159 Posts
About this Discussion
158 Replies
24 Participants
!ThatGuy!
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing