Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think they are 91 or 92 rims. Anyway has anyone ever striped the paint and got out the die grinder with some polishin ends.

How do they turn out?

GregW

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, I polished my rims last summer. No power tools needed, just a shit load of elbow grease

Started by painting on thin layers of paint stripper and washing off as soon as the paint crazed (so as not to corrode the alloy), then after the paint had been removed, I used diminishing grades of wet and dry paper to buff the rims up, finishing with Autosol for the best shine

Took best part of a day, but it's worth the effort. Go for it dude!

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Yes it does take alot of elbow greese to do your own. I polish bike parts as a sideline and alot of my work is from people that start doing it themself and get tired of working on it. What I tell people is that it looks very nice to do the whole wheel but it is very hard to keep up as you have to work around the rotors and sproket to keep them up. if your not into maintance just go with polished outers and leave the spokes painted. It still looks nice and you can reach all the areas that need upkeep. Just remember do not I repeat DO NOT grind off that rib that seperaits the two rim halfsbetween the spokes! This will seriously weakens the wheel and is a safety hazard.
Bones

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
yeh I agree with these guys. i have heard of people gringing the centre to 'smooth it' too !! ouch.
I've have just repainted the spokes on mine after having them fully polished for 4 years.........I got bored with all the polishing, my frame, arm,forks,.............well.......everything is polished too!!
I added a colour (red) back to liven it all up a bit as I've now put a polished can on too.

The fully polished wheels do look great but do take a hell of a lot of looking after, if I were you I'd just do the rims.

Andy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts