Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a sprocket from my local dealer. It is a 16 tooth front sprocket. I purchased it for a 05 GSXR 750. I read some previous posts and it sounded as if this would not be a problem for me to do myself. I removed everything to get to the front sprocket and removed the stock sprocket. After I removed the sprocket I noticed that it was not completly flat on both sides like the vortex sprocket that I received. The stock sprocket had two (rubber???) lips/spacers (not removeable) on each side.

Was I given the right part??? The plastic the sprocket came in said suzuki/Kawasaki sprocket 525. I put it on thinking that it must be right. I road the bike about 5 miles to test it out and everything seemed fine. I wanted to see if someone could reassure me before I tear something up.

Also, I am nothing close to a mechanic so is there anything else I need to assure is correct.

·
Registered
545 Posts
yeah it's the right one!

Stock front sprocket have a "damper" in them!
the "damper" absorb the initial energy, which help durability of the chain and rear sprocket!

·
Registered
528 Posts
+1
That's right on bro. When I did my 600 I thought the same thing. The stock sprockets are so much heavier than the after market ones and they look different, but it's right. So don't sweat it and go have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Do you know if I can go two up in the back with my stock chain? The bike is only 4 months old and only has 1600 miles so I doubt the chain is stretched at all if that matters.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Let me know how you like it. I want to go -1 in the front.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes, you can go -1 on the front and +2 on the rear with the stock chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts