Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ride with headphones on? I was thinking about riding with my iPod when i'm alone. Do you think it's to much of a distraction?

·
Registered
185 Posts
sure ive done it a couple of time. I only put one earpiece in so i can still hear outside stuff. I've heard chatter boxes work pretty good too. But most of the time i love to hear my bike scream high rpms' as I ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i do it all the time, i just dont turn the volume up all the way. so the music isnt very loud but still gets the job done

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I just wanted some opinions before I tried it. My buddies and I are going to Maryland in July for the crab fest. I don't think I wanna listen to the pipe for the whole ride.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool. I just wanted some opinions before I tried it. My buddies and I are going to Maryland in July for the crab fest. I don't think I wanna listen to the pipe for the whole ride.
Where is that? LoL I live in maryland and dont know

·
Registered
161 Posts
not really a distraction unless you have some REALLY good noise isolating buds. i dont hear much with my ipod buds esp. at highway speeds. my bike has stock exhaust too.

that being said, any1 wanna put sum wireless components built into my helmet?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I ride with them all the time. I picked up a set of the Koss earplug type earbuds, took the shitty black plugs they came with off and drilled a small set in a pair of "foamie" earplugs and use those instead. Works like a champ...I can play the music low and still hear it and the foamies do a good job on the excess wind noise in my helmet but and I can still hear the road/engine enough that I feel im safe.....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I ride with them all the time. I picked up a set of the Koss earplug type earbuds, took the shitty black plugs they came with off and drilled a small set in a pair of "foamie" earplugs and use those instead. Works like a champ...I can play the music low and still hear it and the foamies do a good job on the excess wind noise in my helmet but and I can still hear the road/engine enough that I feel im safe.....
That's what I do also. I will not spend $100.00 on so stupid noise canceling earplugs. I bought the koss plug. Took the black plugs off like you did, and bought a box of 100 foam earplugs from the hardware store. Then stick a chopstick through the center. Ha ha ha Yes I am a cheap azz bastard!!!!!!
But it works!! Really good. They don't come out when you put on your helmet. well every once in a while I'll be in a hurry and throw the helmet on and have to start over
but that's once in a while.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is that? LoL I live in maryland and dont know
I don't know exactly. They went last year and i'm going with them this year... I will get the info and post it for ya.

BTW, I tried riding with my iPod today. It was great. I think i'm gonna do it more often. I could still hear everything I needed to hear (passing cars, sirens, other bikes).

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah Id much rather get some thumps.. i mean you gotta have your glasses anyway, at night the lenses flip up.. .512mb of songs.. hell yes.. yeah its a high price, but they kick ass come on.. lol

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've thought of this also, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea. Some good metal might inspire me to be quite a bit more throttle happy.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
i got the headphones with the volume adjuster in the wire and i poke that out of my leathers and when i need to i can just turn off the volume real easy without fuckin with my ipod.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I use an HJC chatterbox. I can talk to my buds that i ride with, and I can talk on the phone or use and mp3 player, with speakers built right into the helmet (although you have to install them). No headphones to deal with, and the sound is way better. Its meant for HJC helmets but will work with any helmet. I have it on my Shoei.

Scott

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
A smurf how much for that chatter box, and how can you use your cell phone on it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use an HJC chatterbox. I can talk to my buds that i ride with, and I can talk on the phone or use and mp3 player, with speakers built right into the helmet (although you have to install them). No headphones to deal with, and the sound is way better. Its meant for HJC helmets but will work with any helmet. I have it on my Shoei.

Scott
I would consider the chatterbox if my group would buy them also. I doubt that they will tho. Thats why I use my iPod. BTW, How much was the chatterbox? Where did you get it from?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Its kind of pricey, its about 300-400 depending on which model you use. About the cell. It has a 1/8" jack input just like the headphone output on your cell (most of them, so you can use handsfree) and thats how that works. or you can use and ipod, cd player, mp3 player whatever, and it will play through the speakers in the helmet. You can also use the chatterbox to talk to people with motorola talk abouts, and CB radios.

Yes I would recommend this over headphones.

Scott

http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com/gmrs_x1.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts