Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well when i ride i find my self to get uncomfortable really quick. I'm always having to
adjust my "package" it either gets smashed or something. What is a good position when
riding? How far/close to you sit to the tank. how much should you lay on the the tank etc.
also do you sit your butt farther back and bend over or lean forward on the tank or sit closer to it. let me know what works for you guys. thanks.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
It is mostly personal preference where you sit. I will sit a bunch of different ways in one ride depending how aggressive I am or if I will be taking it easy.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
It is mostly personal preference where you sit. I will sit a bunch of different ways in one ride depending how aggressive I am or if I will be taking it easy.
+1 - I move around all the time, including hanging off.

Some main things to be aware of, though:

- Support the weight of your upper body with your back, not your arms. Putting too much weight on the bars has negative effects on steering and stability

- Ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, not the arches. By doing so you have a better feel for the bike, can move more easily and you have better ground clearance

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Along with the above suggestions, hug the tank with your knees. It'll help you support your upper body. When you hang off, you'll be using the opposite knee to hold your position. When you get it right, you're not using your arms at all for support. You're using them to guide the bike where you want it to go.

... and back away from the tank juust a little to protect the family jewels.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Adjust your "package" before you get on the bike...that helps.

I move around a lot, really. But this is mostly to adapt my riding position for the road ahead. I've been riding long enough now that I can sit pretty much any way I want on the bike and its not uncomfortable for quite some mileage. All in time..

-J

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think this would be a better thread if we talked about sexual positions instead

·
Registered
961 Posts
Treat your handlebars as if they were raw eggs. That means don't support your upper body weight on them. Keep your arms bend, not straight. Sit as far forward as possible without crushing your nuts.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Ok well when i ride i find my self to get uncomfortable really quick. I'm always having to
adjust my "package" it either gets smashed or something. What is a good position when
riding? How far/close to you sit to the tank. how much should you lay on the the tank etc.
also do you sit your butt farther back and bend over or lean forward on the tank or sit closer to it. let me know what works for you guys. thanks.
As has been said, the best position is just something that will come to you eventually. As for a starting point, on most bikes I find that about 1 or 1 1/2" back from the tank works well... If you get too far forward, you'll end up sitting "upright" and your arms will be too straight to get a good feel of the feedback the front tire is giving you.. If you sit too far back, your likely to have the same problem (too straight), or you'll end up putting too much weight on the bars (as was stated, you want almost no weight on the bars at all, support yourself with your abs and back... It takes a while to "build up", but you'll get there).

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The more forward I sit, means the faster I'm going into turns. I can feel the front a lot better up on/beside the tank than behind it more. BUT........ I do sit back when I am just cruising.

Just do what feels comfortable. It will change with your moods/riding style of the day. Just be sure to keep those feet tucked in. I see so many people with their toes pointing out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts