Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys n gals. It's pretty cruddy here in VA Beach, I walked outside to some pretty warm but drab conditions and thought, wow, not bad for a winter here in Virginia until a 40 mph gust hit me! It reminded me when I was riding when a hurricane was just off the coast. There were feilds on both sides of me heading to the store and I couldn't belive the wind comming off from the left side of me! I struggled at some points just trying to get back to the left side of the road! I found out when I got back home (my father) that I had just rode in 40-55 mph sustained wind and 90 mph gusts!! That was one of the toughest experiences of my (street) riding career. I've ridden in all types considering this is still my only vehicle, you name it. I wanted to hear what you guys have been through, anything weather related or whichever comes to mind! :chucks

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I rode in heavy rain once. It doesnt sound difficult but if you have ever rode a dual sport with a motocross helmet on you would understand. Rain really stings your face at 55mph.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i95 with my laptop in my backpack ,and a badass rain starts i take my shirt off and try to cover my laptop with it and the fukin rain hittin me like bullets on my chest arms etc

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,641 Posts
Ive rode up hill in the snow both ways. :lmao

j/k

Ive only had a few close calls with drivers not paying attention.

·
12,641 Posts
I started to say that. As far as getting stuck out in the rain or extreme weather. I havent.

·
12,641 Posts

·
12,641 Posts
Hey guys n gals. It's pretty cruddy here in VA Beach, I walked outside to some pretty warm but drab conditions and thought, wow, not bad for a winter here in Virginia until a 40 mph gust hit me! It reminded me when I was riding when a hurricane was just off the coast. There were feilds on both sides of me heading to the store and I couldn't belive the wind comming off from the left side of me! I struggled at some points just trying to get back to the left side of the road! I found out when I got back home (my father) that I had just rode in 40-55 mph sustained wind and 90 mph gusts!! That was one of the toughest experiences of my (street) riding career. I've ridden in all types considering this is still my only vehicle, you name it. I wanted to hear what you guys have been through, anything weather related or whichever comes to mind! :chucks
How did you control your bike with side winds that strong. 45mph winds is enough already, but with added 90 mph gusts. whoa!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I learned how to ride when I lived in an area in So Cal that is notorious for high winds most of the time. The worst weather related conditions I've ridden it was the last ride the wife and I took in Nov 08. We were riding 2up and crossed over the cascade mountains here in Southern Orgon. On our way across the roads were just wet, but by the time we crosed again on our way back, the sun had just started to set, and everything that was wet earlier became black ice. I had to ride about 1' from the gravel shoulder on the edge of the road for around 14 miles before we finally got to a low enough elevation that was warm enough during the day that the road had dried. When we went through Klamath Falls (still 40 miles from home) the sign at the bank was reading 24 degrees.

·
Ironhead401's Boy Toy
1,012 Posts
most extreme weather i rode in was several months ago we had a bad storm. and in arizona i doesnt really rain it dumps for 5-10 min then stops completely, and soon as it starts pouring drivers turn to idiots! so i was going home from a riding class (good thing i just learned the best way to stabilize the bike). this class was about 35miles from home, when i was getting to the free way i was dealing with drivers that kept cutting me off (3 times in 2 miles). when i got to the freeway i had roughly 20mph crosswinds and about 8 miles from home the sky opens up and and it was like someone dumped a bucket of water on me.

when this happened i was in the middle of a raised turn on the freeway (those that know arizona its the 101 to the santan 202 eastbound). road almost instantly flooded and it was a huge pain in the ass. drivers went from 70-55 within 100 feet while in the turn so that wasnt fun to do. now trying to get home quickly i come up to a wall of 3 cars going 50 on a 65mph freeway (while it is still dumping buckets of water and almost blinding behind the cars). soon as one of the cars dropped to 45 i jetted infront of him and took off to get outta the rain (it was a clear open road infront of these 3 a-holes).

got home safely and learned a bunch about body position that night!! :cheers :punk

·
Premium Member
4,481 Posts
Marble sized hail on the interstate, had to pull over in a hurry, stung like a bitch, and it didnt feel safe riding over the little chunks of ice..

Hit a bird at about 90mph this summer, hit my helmet right under the visor, then deflected off of my shoulder. didn't hurt at all, but scared the shit out of me.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Once my only vehicle was my bike ('84 Honda XL600R dual sports) so I rode all year round. Which means I got caught in snow storms more than once :lmao At least it had enduro tires and weighed next to nothing so sliding was relatively controllable :lmao I've been caught out in snow on the SV as well. That didn't end so well...

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Oh yeah, another one from the track :lmao Was just doing a regular trackday some years ago and was on slicks. It started raining slightly but as long as the water doesn't start to puddle up, you'll be fine on slicks. So I decided I could take a couple more laps. Just as I passed the exit to pitlane, the sky just opened up for a torrential downpour :lmao Before I was a quarter around the track, it was flooded but I had to continue to the exit - with pretty much non-existant grip :lmao

·
Registered
3 Posts
i wouldn't say this was so much a riding experience but i was riding to my friends house across the island and i got there safe and sound. except when i pulled up to his garage this guy was teaching his girlfriend how to drive a stick in a toyota and she completely freaked the fuck out from what i saw because she about stalled right into me. i told him maybe he should take her to a parking lot. i never would have guessed i would have been in an accident with my bike at my friends house. got lucky!

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
I've done it all but snow.
Once got caught with g/f on back in winter thunder storm... for an hour and a bit.
I tried to pull in the clutch to change down gears coming off the hi-way, hand frozen & wouldn't work.
Interesting... very!
Also had numerous moto-cross fuck-ups, but never a bad road/track get off.
Yet
Cheer, Ad

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Marble sized hail on the interstate, had to pull over in a hurry, stung like a bitch, and it didnt feel safe riding over the little chunks of ice..

Hit a bird at about 90mph this summer, hit my helmet right under the visor, then deflected off of my shoulder. didn't hurt at all, but scared the shit out of me.
I was riding quite fast comming back from a store, hauling butt. I was getting down low in a left hand turn and I swear when I was in a the corner, I passed right by a dead raccon with the eyes all orange.. It passed like 1 foot from my face (that's how low I was). It scared the hell out of me and took it as a message...lol!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts