Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ladies,

Do you think there are specific things that female riders need to work on/learn/practice more than male riders? What are they and why?

Misti

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I believe there are two things that we female riders need to learn:

1. Picking up the bike after a mishap
2. Working on our own bikes, at least the basics

I feel these are things women riders need to know and will inspire more confidence, especially if riding alone as I frequently do. If I'm not mistaken, Harley offers riding classes for women that I hope would cover basic maintenance and picking the bike up but I don't know first hand.

Practicing picking up the bike is not really something one can practice unless you are willing to lay your bike down but there are videos that show how to do it without hurting yourself. Maintenance goes without saying but many ladies don't do this and/or have no clue about it. I have been working on my bikes since my first bike, bought a service manual and learned as I went.

·
Registered
271 Posts
No, I really don't. A smallish guy can't pick up a large bike any better than we can. A lot of the stuff is technique, and those techniques are applicable to both sexes. I think all riders need to practice and learn the same things, whether it be riding or wrenching. It's just more expected that guys "should" know how to do this stuff, but it's really not genetic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that the most important thing for a woman to know is to be able to hold her own. This is a sport that is mainly a mans sport and us girls gotta learn how to not depends on a man. By this I mean you need to learn how to work on your bike, need to be able to handle yourself if you lay your bike down, etc. My personal opinion.. for the first couple months I would recommend not riding by yourself, all slow layovers usually take place within this time frame if they are going to happen.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I really don't. A smallish guy can't pick up a large bike any better than we can. A lot of the stuff is technique, and those techniques are applicable to both sexes. I think all riders need to practice and learn the same things, whether it be riding or wrenching. It's just more expected that guys "should" know how to do this stuff, but it's really not genetic.
Good point, I agree that riding technique is applicable to both sexes for sure. The bike can't tell if it is a man or woman riding it. The basics are the basics no matter what. Do you think that there are certain techniques that women need more practice than men at, or are more likely to make mistakes with or does it just depend on the rider? What is the technique that you struggle with the most?

Misti

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only thing that stinks is that the majority of the bikes are built for males. I've seen this a lot around where I live, when a female has gotten say an r6 the average female is in no way built to sit that high and reach that far they aren't comfortable with their machine. So all I can really say is to just be really comfortable with the bike and just practice the slow stuff.

·
wants his woodlands tickled with wood
1,023 Posts
I'm not a women so from my POV, if your a girly girl then yes. learn to man up, if your bike breaks down on the side of the road don't sit there and cry about it. watch your significant other work on his bike, or meet some other chicks that ride and try to learn with them. if you have a small accident that you can ride away from, these bikes are not heavy, a small person could lift them with minimal effort, so again, maybe cry about it for a minute as i would, then figure out a way to pick her up and ride off. In terms of riding advantage men have over women....?.... Your just as capable of riding as we are.. As stated above about ride height, you want to feel 100% stable/comfy on your bike. i have to almost tip toe a R6 and i'm 6''0, GSXRs have the lowest ride height ( I believe) so that would make it the best option for a girl probably, without having to lower it or anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only thing that stinks is that the majority of the bikes are built for males. I've seen this a lot around where I live, when a female has gotten say an r6 the average female is in no way built to sit that high and reach that far they aren't comfortable with their machine. So all I can really say is to just be really comfortable with the bike and just practice the slow stuff.
I completely agree...this is my issue, since I'm 4'10. I can't just ride any bike, and I have to drop them alot...I have a GSXR 750 right now dropped only about an inch and I still BARELY tip toe, its nerve racking and Im always scared of losing my footing :/ I don't want to lower my bikes but I have no choice! I will though its slightly embarrassing that Ive dropped/laid my bike down about 5 times between the two ive had. The first one was the four times, this was when I first started riding and couldn't seem to get my footing right a couple mishaps that I couldnt catch the bike on, small things. But my new bike once when I had to stop over a pothole at night and did not know it was there.. Its frustrating but I can ride just as well as the males otherwise. Its important to make sure you handle your own like others said and do your own work or they'll never take you seriously.

·
Registered
12 Posts
AmandaJean,
LOL.. yea i totally agree.. them guys out there will not take us women seriously if we pussyfoot around and not work on our own machines.. well at least i know the crew i ride with anyways :). LOL. We have to maek a good impression. I know your short as hell girl, but you know your a good ass rider. My bike is dropped as you know and i think you should just lower your bike so you dont have to be embarassed the next time you ACCIDENTLy drop your bike only because its too high for you babes!!! :). you need to hurry up and get your bike finished.. weather is getting nicer. :) :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
AmandaJean,
LOL.. yea i totally agree.. them guys out there will not take us women seriously if we pussyfoot around and not work on our own machines.. well at least i know the crew i ride with anyways :). LOL. We have to maek a good impression. I know your short as hell girl, but you know your a good ass rider. My bike is dropped as you know and i think you should just lower your bike so you dont have to be embarassed the next time you ACCIDENTLy drop your bike only because its too high for you babes!!! :). you need to hurry up and get your bike finished.. weather is getting nicer. :) :)
I do! I just love the back roads and it feels so good being able to rip through the turns! Just dont wanna ruin my handling! :( I dont even know if I can touch on your bike! We will see soon though! I'm so excited! The boys are setting up the garage for painting tonight and finishing the stands etc! So the bike WILL be painted by Wednesday I believe. Jason said he planned on painting it Monday! I have a ton of parts coming in too. Rear brake pads, new levers, I got the short ASV ones, new bar ends, tank pad (just got a clear one so my colors dont clash!), I am gonna get my seat shaved down too. I know it will help I'm just worried it will be uncomfortable!
It is embarrassing to drop your bike haha, the only reason I wasnt last time was because everyone that knows me and has seen me on my bike knows I dont even have my front of my foot on the ground, I look like a damn ballerina on my bike when I'm at a light, so how can I be expected to save it if something quick happens when I cant actually reach to support it! haha
I dont let it get to me too much though because I know that I can ride just as good as the ones we know lol.

·
Nothing but Adrenaline-Fueled Business Ends
25,701 Posts
As far as the seat shaving goes, there are lots of options.

I took my SV seat to a car upholsterer. You can DIY, obviously, as well.

If you're concerned that too much foam will be missing, and your undercarriage will bear the brunt of that, get some high-density carpet foam to replace the stock foam completely, or get a gel insert to add.

What GV said in the other thread about making the seat more narrow is important as well. The seat is already tapered to a more-narrow width at the top, and is wider at the bottom. You want to retain this kind of tapering as much as possible, rather than cutting straight across which would essentially cut the "skinny" part of the seat off. The closer your knees can be, the more leg "height" you have.

·
Nothing but Adrenaline-Fueled Business Ends
25,701 Posts
Back to the original topic, No, a skill set is a skill set.

I think there are differences in learning styles between men and women, but the material is the same. As someone said previously, the bike doesn't know if you're a stander or a squatter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts