Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im looking to purchase a GSX-R750. This will be my first bike. I was wondering what the minumum hieght is to ride one. Im about 5'5"-5'6". Just wanna know if my legs would be long enough to reach the ground. If not cant i just lean to one side and use one foot?
Thanks...

·
Registered
73 Posts
If its your first bike I suggest going with a 600 or lower but in regard to the height i think you'll be fine. You can also get it lowered if need be

·
Registered
431 Posts
hmmmmm, such a small noob on such a big bike, my crystal ball tells me a squidly accident is in your future.....

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Re: Rider Height Minimum?

750???????? I wouldn't recommend it! What is your inseam? That will determine what height problems that may arise.

Look for a better beginner bike than the 750!

·
Registered
650 Posts

5'9" here, and I can't put both feet flat on the ground on my '02 750. It hasn't cause me any problems yet.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

im 5'5 and i can only tippy toe on my b/f's gix600 so i got myself a CBR 600F3

maybe that helps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Are u able to atleast drive ur bf's bike or no? And yes, now i think i will go with the 600 by the way.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

yes of course I can ride it......just don't ask me to push it around while on it..... coming to stops (alittle tricky) just didnt feel confident on it as a beginner.

·
Where did that mailbox come from???
8,661 Posts

Im 5'6" and was able to ride my husbands 750 fine BUT its definately not a 1st bike... nor is the 600 but to each their own!

Good Luck

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts

i guess i will have to drop my bike.. im 5'8

how much will that cost anyway?
DO NOT drop it - screws up the handling and ground clearance... My wife is 5'8 as well and she has no problems on neither our SV nor my GSX-R600, both of which are raised at the rear for better handling...

And to the original poster - if you want good advice, get a used GS500E to learn on then sell it later for close to the same amount ou bought it for. It's much more forgiving, both on power, brakes and handling than an "R"-type bike, thus being easier and safer to learn on. It's much cheaper to repair as well if you drop it because it doesn't have plastics - a typical low speed drop on a GSX-R easily runs into 1000+ $ in plastics alone if you want to restore it to original condition...

Apart from that, the GS is lower and narrower making it easier to handle when stopped

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

i guess i will have to drop my bike.. im 5'8

how much will that cost anyway?
DO NOT drop it - screws up the handling and ground clearance... My wife is 5'8 as well and she has no problems on neither our SV nor my GSX-R600, both of which are raised at the rear for better handling...

And to the original poster - if you want good advice, get a used GS500E to learn on then sell it later for close to the same amount ou bought it for. It's much more forgiving, both on power, brakes and handling than an "R"-type bike, thus being easier and safer to learn on. It's much cheaper to repair as well if you drop it because it doesn't have plastics - a typical low speed drop on a GSX-R easily runs into 1000+ $ in plastics alone if you want to restore it to original condition...

Apart from that, the GS is lower and narrower making it easier to handle when stopped

If professionally done right- and they know what they are doing lowering it can be fine. I'm 5'4" and I have my 750 lowered-but I had a professional do it...cost some money but well worth it. But since this being your first bike I'd recommend a 250, 500, or a 2nd tiered 600. Even the "older" 600's aren't really a good choice-but whatever you get take a MSF class and ride with good gear.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

Whats inseam?
The inside length to your pants which is a good judge on how long your legs are.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts

yes, listen to the old timers... they know what they are talking about on getting something old and smaller.

a 750 is no ground for a new rider to play with. yes, they look hot, yes they look sexy, and yes, they are fast but for a beginners bike...NO

welcome to the GDC club tho

·
Registered
518 Posts

I'm 5'3". I had an 01 600. The wide seat and tank is what made it difficult. I had to slide from side to side in order to touch firmly when stopped. With the narrower tank and front of seat, I sit a lot better on the K5. So, sit on a few and see what feels comfortable to you.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

Doesn't matter how tall you are.. R bike is no place for a beginner.

Read the stickies at the top of this forum; and maybe you will find out why. I had an R bike thread here, look in the past pages for it.

Try getting a gs500, or an sv-650 if you can afford it (still cheaper than the gsxr), and both better learning bikes (the gs500 moreso than the sv650.)

·
Registered
399 Posts

Welcome to GDC... Like everyone has said get an SV at the most for your first bike....

·
Registered
174 Posts

what do they do when they lower it prof? anything diff then links and moving the tripes up?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts