Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Wow, that was a big ride, 2010 kilometres in 3 days.
Set out Friday arvo and did everything listed in the above post except we got to about Nymboida on the Armidale Rd only to be turned around by rural fire, the mountain was burning, decided to go back down the Waterfall way to Coffs and backtrack to Grafton to pick up the Gwydir Hwy, that involved a bit of dirt bike riding but it still beat the M1 option.
At Mann River on the Gwydir we saw a massive bush fire pretty close and we doubted they'd let us through, the roard is so mgood it was worth the risk and luckily we got through.
The Gwyder Hwy, Oxley Hwy, Thunderbolts and the 12mile bends at the Northern end of the Putty were the highlights but the whole ride was spectacular. Wish we could have finished the Armidale road because it was starting to get awesome when they turned us around, Oh well, next time.
These bikes never cease to amaze me, What a machine!

On a side note, We saw a Police bike on a tilt tray on the Putty, someone should tell that bloke it is not cool to drag your knee wearing Jodhpurs.
Hope is is OK none the less.

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,064 Posts
thatd have been a wicked ride... fires up in nsw and qld are mental atm

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Traillered the bikes 450ks down the Hume Hyw To yesterday arvo, camped just outside Tumut, arrived about 8:00pm, just enough light to set the swag.
Set out for the ride at 6:30 this mormning.
Rode about 500K's around the mountains, got home spot on 6:00 tonight.
Snowy Mountains hwy is a superb piece of road except for the wild brumbies and kangaroos, must have seen 100 of each.
We are so lucky to have access to such fantastic regions to ride in.
When the fires go out I'll venture up north again.

·
Administrator
13,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Great pics mate ...

We went for a ride to Port Albert today ,sun was out but very windy!!!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Only place in the state to ride that's not on fire is way up north and that's just because up north burnt out 2 months ago, last time I was up there.
Managed to finish Armidale Rd, OMFG, that road is insane.
Fire has gone through there for approx 40 kilometres along the roadway, from where the mountain starts to rise all the way to Nymboida. As far as the eye can see its fire ravaged.
The tree ferns have started to regenerate, when it rains again I suspect it will be beautiful up there.
Lots of road damage and bridges just gone, burnt, almost unrecognisable.
Lots of gravel on some bends, I 2 wheel drifted through one corner, my mate was about 100mtrs behind me, I couldn't help thinking good luck in that one mate, watched him in the mirror and sure enough he binned it.
This photo is typical of the landscape up there, cant wait to go back.

·
Administrator
13,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Nice one mate ... hope your pal wasn’t too banged up.

Iv done plenty of rides but can’t be fucked posting them ... seems no one gives a flying fuck anymore.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts