Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ride height increase on \'88?

Hello all,
I'm a newby to this forum, I've had a look through your archives and couldn't see an answer, so please be patient.
I have a slingshot '88 750 that I'm going 'budget' racing with, so far I have resprung and revalved both ends and put in a '92 model shock, and I'm pretty sure the back still needs to come up, as it turns slower than my VFR. Unlike other bikes, it looks like you can't just put a shim under the top shock mounting, the whole plate needs to move down. I'm not keen on dropping the front either, as I'm already dragging the fairings.
Are there any simple ride height adjustment tricks that don't involve me going to the fabricators?
thanks in advance,

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Re: Ride height increase on \'88?

I have an `89 1100 that *I think* shares geometry with the 750... it turned like a dump-truck sans power-steering when I got it. I out a `91 750 front end, `99 wheels, and `93 750 swingarm on mine - it turns much more quickly now... but I think it would be cheaper to go to the fabricators...

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

A common problem for those of us that raced the 88-89 750's when they were new (man I'm getting old) was the lack of ground clearance. Yosh made a adjustible upper mount but I've been looking for one for years. You could have a Fabricator make one like the 96 and newer 750's used. but it would be far better to upgrade to a Aftermarket shock. Both Fox and Ohlins still make them for these (and theres even a freshly rebuilt Fox on E-bay now Mr.Gixxer's Fox) and they are adjustible. You could use dogbones for this to but the better shock is worth the money.
Bones

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

I just sold the extra two SRS links that I had . I have on I could lend you Fastcat (Chromed) but I do need it bak before I ride my 88 agian (spring of 04?). I just picked up another Ohlins that I may use on my new Project (89 1100) of the Fox and SRS link may go there and the Ohlins on my 88? I am starting to get too many logs in the fire agian...
Bones

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

I know the feeling...

I thought about this thing a lot, and it ocurred to me that I don't have the `89 linkage in there anymore... I changed the dogbones and linkage wwhen I put the `93 swinger in there... is the rate different on my new linkage? I didn't spend any time investigating all of that when I had the pieces in my lap <drat> Does anyone know the easy answer?

I know one thing for-sure and that is that I have a lot more ground-clearance on both front and rear now with the `93 750 swingarm and `91 750 front-end. My sidestand is *almost* too short now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for all you helpful suggestions. I wandered into a wrecker on the weekend and bought another top bracket to play with. After reading that article, it looks like my best (cheapest) bet is to move it down and rearward a little. The '90 bracket I bought is already 3mm lower than the '88, so obviously Suzuki did something about it as well!
thanks again for your help - you are an excellent resource!
cheers,
Andrew Lockwood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts