Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used a banana arm model('90)RGV250 as a donor bike for a 86 gsxr750?. My friend says You can swap across the whole front end including brake master cylinders etc. as well as the 17" rear wheel which can fit a 160 tyre. He's no idiot when it comes to bikes buthas anyone had any real experiences along this line?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've seen that swingarm fitted to an mid 80's
750 katana and myself have fitted an early gsxr
swingarm to the same era katana. So it would
seem that this is possible.

Bearing in mind that anything is possible with
enough money and patience. Front end swaps on
nearly all suzuki's seems to be a dream as
similar bearing sizes are used across the range.

Adrock.

[ 04-08-2002, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Adrock ]

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Damn near anything is possible with the suzukis swap ability. Try it and see it would be a cool mod.
-Karl

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I've seen RG500's here in the states with gixxer parts but I've not heard a 250 arm on a gixxer. Part of that might be the total lack of RGV's here in the states. We have those pesky emission standards that get in the way of us having any fun bikes to ride

Like Adrock said...toss enough money at it and the problem will go away.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by suzukiltd:
Simon, I thought you had a bannana arm on your RG.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've got a nana arm from a Canadian '94 1100...that I haven't tried to put on yet...but I'm optimistic, I've seen other 85/86/87 gixxers with nana arms mounted.

I might get it done this week since my wife is taking the daughter to Seattle tomorrow for almost 3 weeks...it's her grandma's 100th birthday on the 20th.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dug up my book with the kat in it:

Looks like it may have shortened the wheelbase.
May be a consideration if it screws with your
geometry too much.

Adrock.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The Banana arm from a RGV is a true Banana arm with a curved bottom where a 93 GSXR Banana arm is flat on the bottom. I have seen the RGV arm on RG500's and early GSXR's and think they look great as long as you can deal with the limited tire sizes. The 93 GSXR arm looks sharp on GSXR's (I have one on my 88) and will take a 190 series tyre.
Bones

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I'll keep You posted as to the outcome as I am actively looking for a donor. BTW RGV250's are 'dime a dozen' here especially as the motors are quite expensive to rebuild and usually they just end up getting parted out or sold 'as is' with stuffed running gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts