Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a nail in factory tire and was looking for something more commuter friendly. My tire du jour is the pilot power. However I commute from Port Saint Lucie, Florida to Fort Lauderdale, Florida five days a week. It is 200 miles roundtrip or 1000 miles a week. I decided to give the Pilot Road a try.

First thing you notice is that its ugly. I mean the Pilot Power is a sexy looking tire. The Pilot Road has channeling in the tire that goes all the way to the edges of the tire so it breaks the continuity of its roundness. I think thats what makes it ugly.

Second thing you notice when riding is that it is more "stable" than the Power. The Power, for those of you who havent used it, is a quicker tire. The Road you could say suffers from a certain vagueness from certain perspectives. To me, as a commuter, I dont need the quickness of the Power and since I live in Florida turning isnt really an issue.

Now I was concerned how this tire would handle at full lean on an onramp/offramp. It is fine. It is missing something that the Power has but its not like you lean it over and the tire quits on you. Spirited riding is ok. My exit has a nasty little downhill decreasing radius turn that allows for an initial entry speed near 70 mph 2nd gear and closes down to about 1st gear 30. The Gixxer handled it like it didnt know the different.

It is perfect in the rain.

Thats all for now. Ill add more on as more miles go by.

·
Registered
348 Posts
COMEBACK said:
Hmmm..............guess the Pilot Road is better than I thought :)
Its like a Pilot Sport tire beleive me. A guy that I used to work with had this tire on his bike couple of times. He loves them. He is older riding a FZ1 and a FJR. He gets down too on his FZ1 with no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldnt spend a track day on it. For the street though it is a perfect compromise between tire life/grip and price. Sure the Powers are better suited for quicker paces but most of us riding on the street will never get to the limit on a Power.

·
Registered
348 Posts
soyelgaucho said:
I wouldnt spend a track day on it. For the street though it is a perfect compromise between tire life/grip and price. Sure the Powers are better suited for quicker paces but most of us riding on the street will never get to the limit on a Power.
Are you sure about that. :cheers

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyelgaucho

tito1a said:

Anyone dreaming about having a track day on those tires..............well they are dreaming for sure :punk

·
Registered
348 Posts
soyelgaucho said:
Sure the Powers are better suited for quicker paces but most of us riding on the street will never get to the limit on a Power.

I meant to say about this part of the quote.

·
Registered
582 Posts
tito1a said:
Its like a Pilot Sport tire beleive me. A guy that I used to work with had this tire on his bike couple of times. He loves them. He is older riding a FZ1 and a FJR. He gets down too on his FZ1 with no problems what so ever.
I didn't have any problems running the P. Road on the FZ1 either. I drug the pegs/knees plenty of times with no problems. The P. Powers did make the heavy bike hanlde a little better but you can get well over 5,000 out of the Roads.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I just put a Pilot Road on the rear of my 04 1000 (Power up front). I rode my normal twisty route last weekend and honestly, I forgot I had the Road in back. It never broke loose and was stable as can be. If it lasts considerably longer than the Power, I'll probably continue to use them. I commute as often as possible and that's the reason I decided to try the Road.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just road home after getting off duty this evening. This tire is so damn smooth. It rolls so nice.

If you are pushing a Pilot Power to the max you need to be on the track and not the street.

·
Registered
131 Posts
uhhh, I can't imagine your commute. Too much traffic on the Turnpike and I-95. What area in Fort Lauderdale do you work? I work in the Sawgrass area.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HuynhK41 said:
uhhh, I can't imagine your commute. Too much traffic on the Turnpike and I-95. What area in Fort Lauderdale do you work? I work in the Sawgrass area.
I work for BSO at HQ (95/Broward Blvd).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
soyelgaucho
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing