Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my front tire a while ago and when reinstalling it i discovered its different from the back. My rear tires tread pattern is \/ with a direction rotating the correct way, my fornt with the direction rotating the right way has the tread pattern the opposite /\. Is it smarter to have the tread patterns matching and the tire rotating the wrong way or the tire rotating the right way and the treads opposite? I figure its dangerous to be running it opposite cause in wet conditions the front tire would would want to hydoplane and the rear wouldn't. :dunno

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,130 Posts
look at the edge of the tread, or the sidewall. there should be a rotation arrow on the tire

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is and thats my problem the rotational arrow tells me to put the front tread opposite from the back which may cause hydroplaning in wet conditions rather then prevent it.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
There is and thats my problem the rotational arrow tells me to put the front tread opposite from the back which may cause hydroplaning in wet conditions rather then prevent it.

no no no :banghead lol

the reverse pattern from front/rear actually PREVENTS that shit... im sure there is a good write up on it somewhere but im feeling lazy as fuck atm. go google it.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
The tire manufactures spend a LOT of money to make these tires work correctly, I highly doubt they would have you run the tire the way it is designed if it would cause a problem.

John

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts

And you know this how?

Have you designed, fabricated and tested motorcycle tires? And have more information on the subject than Dunlop, Metzler, Pirelli, Michelin and Bridgestone?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And you know this how?

Have you designed, fabricated and tested motorcycle tires? And have more information on the subject than Dunlop, Metzler, Pirelli, Michelin and Bridgestone?
no but i know on car tires treads are designed to move the water away from the center of the tread pattern, and the tread design of my front tire seems to look like it would do the opposite. I havn't designed, fabricated or tested motorcycle tires which is why im asking on the forum but im sure those people who did design them probably do know what there doing.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
no but i know on car tires treads are designed to move the water away from the center of the tread pattern, and the tread design of my front tire seems to look like it would do the opposite. I havn't designed, fabricated or tested motorcycle tires which is why im asking on the forum but im sure those people who did design them probably do know what there doing.
Motorcycle tires are a little different than car tires, especially the front one. Much smaller contact patch.

A lot of road bicycle tires don't even have tread because the tire is so narrow it wouldn't do any good. That doesn't seem to make sense coming from an automotive background, but it's true.

Best bet is to trust what the tire manufacturer says. The tread is directional for a reason.

·
Banned
10,466 Posts
no no no :banghead lol

the reverse pattern from front/rear actually PREVENTS that shit... im sure there is a good write up on it somewhere but im feeling lazy as fuck atm. go google it.
lol. just think if bikes had reverse...he'd be all f'd up in the head :lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Erh... well I'll put my thoughts in here too.. I have just had a MOT and she passed even though the front was... in backwards (the tread patterns both facing the same way) I'm running them both the same way too, the way I see it is if I can go around my face set of corners on the way to school (teacher) at the wrong side of 70.. wrong side of 120 at times for that matter, and shes gripping as well as any tyre I have ever ran and I can still have my knee dragging when wanted... then bugger it. As for the wrong way well if you think about it the previous comment about water displacement is right, you must remove water from the centre to the outer edge. I'll run mine as is for a while and if i'm wearing them down too quick (i'm a heavy front braker anyway) I'll let you know.

I'll ask the bike shop down the road too to get some conformation on this.
Are yours MetZ's also? M3?? I'm wondering if they have an apprentice who was out on the piss before they made them??

If its any further help all of the Kawks and Ducks (ducati's) have tyres with the tread pattern facing the same way... humm.. how odd.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats the reason i asked, my girls ninjas tires dont rotate in opposite direction so i wondered why mine do. Oh well guess ill trust the manufacturer

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts