Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just posting for my dim witted friend who inadvertently swapped the leads over to the wrong polarity when he tried to jump start his 09 busa with his car. What is the chances of just blowing a fuse or diode- slim or it's now rooted?
I haven't had an opportunity to have a look myself but after I stopped shaking my head in wonder and laughing my arse off I told him I'd come around and offer any help I can. Btw does this model have a diode inline to prevent damage to his ecu?
Cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
If anything,the 30a main fuse was blown. Have a look there first if nothing happens when you turn the key on. Highly unlikely that any damage occurred beyond the battery.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anything,the 30a main fuse was blown. Have a look there first if nothing happens when you turn the key on. Highly unlikely that any damage occurred beyond the battery.
I'll let him know if he hasn't already looked there. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
No problem ;)

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
t
You're on the money with your diagnosis Ol gixxer. He eventually found the blown fuse,replaced it and all good. Cheers:cheers
Excellent,glad he got it running:thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
my girlfriend did the very same thing with my brand new Nissan 4x4 pickup, came home from fishing and she is like, "hey what does it mean when smoke is rolling up from the area by the battery when you jump another car?

huh? WTF did you do?

she; "welp I tried to give sandy a jump in her truck and neither of us knew how to do it so we guessed, then smoke started rolling up and her truck wouldn't start, your truck died"

brand new rig too, FORTUNATELY Nissan installs a fusable link right at the terminal connection on the positive clamp, easy peasy $7 link and off she goes, no wiring damage done, the smoke was the actual link melting through, it takes all the heat and everything before ANYTHING else gets damaged in the slightest, even battery if you connect right.. drove it for another 25 yrs neary an issue, Nissan install these links JUST IN CASE someone manages to put the cables on backwards and doesn't mind the first SNAP you hear at the onset... women... can't imagine the look on their faces when they killed both rigs and smoke began rolling out the engine bay... lol

I never said a word to her at all and I could tell by the look on her face she was like "oh boy I really screwed the pooch" I even fixed her girlfriends truck, the look on their faces while they were trying to explain what happened while i am on the fishing hole was priceless, the look on her face, red as a beet... lol

if you do the Mosfet R/R which is highly recommended a fusable link is a great idea simply for the protection no matter what numpty tries jumping it backwards your are protected

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,958 Posts
From page 4-5 of the K5/K6 1000 service manual:

Battery connection in reverse polarity is strictly prohibited.
Such a wrong connection will damage the components of the
FI system instantly when reverse power is applied.

The owner's manual says nearly the same thing, as do the service manuals for K1/K2, K3/K4, K7/K8 and K9/L1.

Reverse connecting during a jump start is slightly different. But it's uncomfortably close. The OP's dim witted friend is very lucky IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts