Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my srad motor back on the frame , after rebuilding it . It sounds great idling , and wacking the throttle a little , but when you go to WOT it sounds like the limiter is coming in to quick . My tachs not working , got the parts coming to fix it , so I may not judging it right . I've just been reving it in the shop , I haven't got it ready for the road yet . The motor had a bearing spun when I bought it so I've never heared these bikes run . I know the rev limiter should come in around 13500RPM's (By the suzuki manual ), but it just sounds more like 7000 or 8000 rpm's . Does the rev limiters come in quicker when there is no load on the motor ?
Thanks for the help ,
Jim

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
has it got the std can on ??

could be battery problems not letting it spin up high (happened to an old bike of mine)

i would do nothing untill you have the tacho up and running, and a fully charged battery.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Is the fuel light on solid ?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
What year motor is it?? If it is a 98 99 motor and you are low on fuel, the computer will not let the motor rev up...

If not that, then you might want to check the cam timing on the motor.. When my motor jumped timing it sounded like the rev limiter would turn on at like 7K

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 96 model with 39 Kehin downdrafts on it . When I put it back together , I double check it by the suzuki sevice manual , and looked right , but it wouldn't hurt to pull the valve cover and check it again . It just sounds to good idling and wacking the throttle from an idle .
Thanks for the help
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Mine was the same thing.. it had jumped one tooth on the ex cam.

It happens.. I have put a lot of cams into these bikes and it is REALLY easy to miss a tooth on a cam.. Take your time.. lol

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just pulled the valve cover and checked it . Every thing was right on the money , I also bolted the degree wheel on it to make sure that I didn't get the sprocket on the crank off one spline , and it was also right . I guess I need to wait and get my tach going . I may just be misjudging it by the sound . This is the first 4 valve motor for me , always been an old 2 valve man .
Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well... the deg wheel will not tell you if the crank sprocket is off.. The only way to tell that is if you take off the starter clutch and look at the punch marks... It might be worth looking into...

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my tach working and it was turning up to around 12,500 RPM's before the limiter would come in . I guess it's just hitting the limiter a lot faster than the old 2 valve motors that I'm use to .
On the setting up the degree wheel , I put it on and set it up using my top dead center stop that screws in the spark plug hole , that let me know where the crank was , so when the degree wheel was on zero , all the timing marks was in the right place . I haven't had a chance to degree the cams yet , I still got to get a set the adj. sprockets .

P.S. : Does the 4 deg timing advancers really help ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts