Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've got a '98 750 race engine, that has cosworth pistons, racing cams and is running 13:1 compression(stock is 11.8:1). Stock ECU, Stock Fuel injection, and it's running racefuel at the time, with stock timing.

I need to run the engine on pump gas 92-93oktane and therefore I need to retard the timing, so I don't get detonation. I've got a powercommander II and will be able to advance/retard the ignition above 4k rpms, so there it won't be a problem.

My biggest problem is figuring out how I can retard the timing about 5-8degrees below 4k rpms. I believe that amount of retardation is enough.

If anyone can give me any leads. That would be much appreciated.

TIA

ps. Pissing in the tank is not an option

[ 08-14-2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Bubbazenetty ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yes the PC will go - on it, but you can not change the timing below 4K RPM..

John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I use the Rhoms adjustable advancer/retarder to get the ignition retarded below 4k, that should do it. I've already e-mailed powercommander and I'm waiting on their response.
According to their info on their website, they indicate that you can retard/advance the ignition from idle (0 rpm) to redline, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks for all reply's.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbazenetty:

According to their info on their website, they indicate that you can retard/advance the ignition from idle (0 rpm) to redline, but I just want to be sure.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Who's info on what website?? if you are talking about the PCII, everything I have seen says nothing under 4K on the timing table... I have been told the PCIIIr can start at 0 RPM...

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You can change it, but when you save it I think it "forgets" that part of the table.. But I dont remember... I know i tried to do it and it didnt work..

John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, went ahead and bought the RHOMS- adjustable retarder/advancer. It will retard the ignition up to -4degrees, or advance it up to +10 degrees. I should get it on thursday, so if I get the engine tomorrow, I'll have it back together around the weekend. Then I'll put it in and get it on a dyno, to dial it in. Keep you posted.
Thanks for all reply's .....later.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Also you might want to not use a TRE if you have problems with **** ... this way it will retard the timing for you a bit ..

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts