Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any form of restrictors on the 88 Gixxxer 750? Specs show the bike can go up to 150mph but my speedo shows only 180km/h max(that's about 111mph, a far cry from what's on the specs.). Mine comes with a speed warning light and the dial's set on kmh not mph. If there is, hope someone here could help me out on this. Thanks in advance. BTW, on my last gear the rev counter shows it could only go up to about 7500 rpm, wouldn't go much further than that.

G

·
0 Posts
I noticed you are in Singapore.........Is that the country the bike was originally purchased in? If not which country did your bike come from. I know USA models didn't come with a speed sensor. It sounds like the black box is restricting the power/rev limit in 6th gear if you ask me. It could be as simple as changing out the black box with a USA version box.... but that is just my speculation.

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: GixxerRacer371 ]</p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply! The bike's bought in Singapore, but it's a Japanese import because because of its' speed warning light, I think...
Will try searching for the US/UK dials once I have time and dough, Thanks! BTW, u guys think it's a good deal to pay US$950 for a 88 gixxer750?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
that's not bad at all, if the bike's in good running condition.

about the top end limiter, though, replacing the instrument panel might not do away with it......you might need to replace the ecu.

G

·
0 Posts
HOWSER, I would replace the ECU with a USA or European model first... You got a great deal on the bike for sure!!!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The restrictor is in the speedo itself on most Jap market bikes of this age. Try disconnecting the speedo cable and see what happens. The ECU probably won't need changing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an '89 gixxer 750 and have come across the same prob. But I have an inline speedo converter so it actually read 110. Could it be the CDI that needs changing?

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
the Japanese 750 bikes had by law 77hp with a series of restrictors..

I used to have two japanese Import bikes and both had speedometer restrict which i disconected... some of the late 90s Japanese bikes had also restricted the CDI and carbs.

Good Luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey, giannis
Good to see ya'.
Have you found a project yet? It would certainly seem reasonable that a Japanese bike made it's way to Singapore (A very nice place to visit, I might add.
).

[ 02-09-2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: 771Doug ]

·
Registered
17 Posts
propably a Bandit 1200 >2001 "Wes Cooley GS1000R Suzuka8hours" replica. TTs make a kit for the oilcooled 1100s up to 1370cc and www.holeshot.com has some bad ass stuff for Bandits... plus i want to be part of the big old "big block" suzuki family!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
in UK propably BAT motorcycles or any other japan second hand importer propably can help you... i got mine from japan when i had an NSR250.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
You should be able to pick up a black box from the breakers and have it work, ie, from a home market (UK) model. I believe it would be 'plug and play'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts