Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this before (probably) - rerouted the clutch cable to run inside the frame along the same relative path as your throttle cables? Specifically the new gen 2000+ gixxers since I'll be doing it on a 2004 600.

I'm wondering if the engine heat may cause any problems and that might be why it runs on the outside of the frame? I just want to hide as many wires as I can inside the frame to give the bike (without plastics) a clean look. Just trying to see if anyone knows any reasons why it would not be a wise idea.

I'd also want to try re-routing the wiring that hangs out on the LHS to the inside of the frame, but I assume that could be less of an issue if I just wrap it in some heat shrink type stuff to protect vs heat.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope so
Not many bites on this topic so far! I checked it out, and I *could* route it along the side of the frame just under some wires, and through some others then out between a small gap between the rock guard and the frame itself.

However, I decided not to do it at the moment because I am not sure how shielded the cable is, and it would pass right by the engine head and spark plugs/wires. I don't want any sparks or shorts, so I'll wait a while longer to hopefully get some more replies

It would look rather nice though - totally hide the clutch cable & then it'd just be a matter of rerouting some wires to totally hide those unsightful wires/cable along the LHS.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, I can't believe that nobody has done this before - is everyone on vacation or something?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Will not be a problem to route eithr the cable or wires to the inside of the frame. The heat will not be an issue on some bikes it lays right on the Cylinder head buring its route. Yuo may need a longer cable just check it. Your run needs to be smooth without any real sharp bends. You can source longer cable from Motion Pro and others. I reconned keeping it lubed often vs heat tape. most cables are dry due to lack of preventive maint.
Bones

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for the reassurance. I don't think cable length will be an issue, as the route is roughly the same distance, if anything probably a bit shorter. No sharp bends either, but was just worried about the insulation on the cable.

I'll try and give this a shot some time if I ever take the cable off again, and if it works I'll be sure to post some pictures of the route and what it looks like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.