Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had a speed triple (fitted with a Daytona engine) for the last 5 years I know some of the pitfalls of the bike:
-Rear brake is an are to bleed.
-Fronts need bleeding carefully to keep them good.
-Rear arm bearings are a bitch to change.
- regulators pack up and need an upgrade
Etc etc

Now Ive been a K5 1000 rizla (9k dry miles by look of it) owner for nearly a day now I’ve found I need to mod the clutch as it judders like a bitch sometimes pulling away. I’ve read the thread and will be carrying it out this weekend.
Can anyone give me low down on the K5 and what Suzuki short comings I might find along the way?
I can get ahead start and maybe change a few bits. I notice the regulator looks as per the speed triple, but mounted in a cooler place.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Make sure the frame has been braced.
Ive owned a couple of them, 50,000 faultless kilometres on the last one.
Current one ive owned for 4k, only got 12k on it now.
Changed MC for stronger stopping, rebuilt shock, valved forks and I dont expect any surprises for the next 40,000K's
Bulletproof bikes, enjoy.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
The frame brace and MC are both recall items. So your bike may already have both. Beyond that, there's a large electrical connector inside the left front fairing that is unsealed (it has a shroud that doesn't do the job) and corrosion of the terminals is fairly common. You could put some dielectric grease on the terminals. The three pin connector between the stator and the R/R can also fail, which can take out the charging system. But unplugging and plugging it for the purpose of preventative maintenance tends to weaken the electrical contacts. So I'm inclined to recommend that you leave it alone and keep your fingers crossed. The K5-K8 front calipers are weak. See the mods thread for alternatives but note that you need a matching MC. The front lighting is weak. The position light bulbs have a short life but can be replaced with some very satisfactory LEDs. The high beam can be replaced with a 9011 HIR bulb that is nearly drop in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to the site and interested in the frame brace fix.Anyone have any pics of it installed? Is it a welded in affair ? Does it hinder working on the bike after it is
installed? Thanks for your time.Shaun.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Its a recall.
Call your dealer, give them the VIN and they will tell you if it has been done, if it hasn't, Suzuki will still do it.
My second K5's frame was replaced, current K6 has the brace, it is hardly visible with the plastics on, simply bolts on, no welding, no hindrance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think i will do that.It's a police impound auction bike i picked up local here in Vegas.
2005 GSXR 1000 (and its ugly). You would not believe the ham fisted,jack leg repairs done to this poor bike.
Soooo cool,thanks for the heads up.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
I think i will do that.It's a police impound auction bike i picked up local here in Vegas.
2005 GSXR 1000 (and its ugly). You would not believe the ham fisted,jack leg repairs done to this poor bike.
Soooo cool,thanks for the heads up.
Stay far, far away. The money you'll spend would buy you one in good shape.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
"Anyone have any pics of it installed? Is it a welded in affair? Does it hinder working on the bike after it is installed?"
The installation instruction with some pics is here. It should also be on the NHTSA site but their document retrieval feature is down at the moment.

A minor downside is that the bike's cooling ability is reduced a bit. Most people won't notice it. Another complication is that the component parts aren't sold separately. This can create problems if you lose a minor part like a bushing. Both issues are discussed in the frame recall sticky here, though pics that I'd put on tinypic are now unavailable.

P.S. It's been a while but, as I recall, the forward tabs on the brace are threaded to accept the radiator bolts. I found that the skilled installers of my brace had cross threaded one of the bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
BillV
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing