Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to install the push rod? (mine fell out while replacing the front sprocket) :hammer. My clutch moves the lever on the casing, and pushes on this rod, but it doesn't engage the engine. Do I have a different issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last night I repaired my push rod seal this way. Just in time for bike week here in Daytona. I let it dry over night and will be done with the repair
tonight. let see how long this will last. My only concern is the o-ring. I'm not sure if it can handle the heat. Lets hope for the life of the motor :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Worked for me :) I thought what do I have to lose more oil? Not a lot of work very easy. Thank you for posting your idea. I'm very happy with the out come. No more leak!! Push rod oil seal is sealed!! Lets hope it stays this way i'll keep you guys posted.

Attachments

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
is your engine running while you took the pic?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Sorry, but that fix ^ seems a bit hack.

I still don't get why people split the cases to replace this seal.

Personally, I would carefully dremel off that lip that holds the old seal, pop a new seal in place, and fab up a bracket (out of thin aluminum) over that seal to hold it in position. Attach that bracket to an available bolt in the area. Much cleaner than some sort of goop & o-ring combo...

Then again, it's been a while since I've had that sprocket cover off so maybe that's not possible. It's just a thought... :dunno

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this same problem with my 04 750 a couple years ago. The seal is supposed to be replaced from the inside of the motor since there is a lip on the outside keeping the seal in place. I was able to replace it without opening the motor. I pulled the seal out which did tear it up but it was trash anyways. Stuffed a rag into the hole to prevent debris from getting into the motor. Used an air grinder with a barrel grinder bit to remove the ledge holding the seal in. Cleaned up the area with a finer grit sandpaper. Cleaned all the shavings out before removing the rag. Installed the new seal to the same depth the old one was at. Ran a bead of hi temp rtv around the outside from the seal to the case. Put it all back together. Took me an hour. I never had a single drop leak from it and it didnt look like a hack job either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I glad it worked for you tripacer99, The drill bit is to drill the correct size hole it the fender washer because I couldn't find an exact fit for the pushrod. Mine is holding up great as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Worked for me :) I thought what do I have to lose more oil? Not a lot of work very easy. Thank you for posting your idea. I'm very happy with the out come. No more leak!! Push rod oil seal is sealed!! Lets hope it stays this way i'll keep you guys posted.
Have an update on the seal. Its still holding up guys!!! 5000 miles later!! 07/10/2014:biggrin

·
Registered
4 Posts
My crazy friend filed down the bottom lips cause he couldn't get the seal back in cause he was to lazy to pull the motor... Filed the lower lip and used the red rtv silicone and it worked... He's not leaking or nothing... Idk how safe he is but it works for him... What do yall think???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy Shit I can't believe I found this!! Have the same problem on my 02 600, bike's apart in my living room right now, live in Hollywood and have a super busy day tomorrow commuting over 250 miles for auditions and was DREADING taking my car and sitting in traffic and also potentially having to remove the whole f'n engine. YOU GUYS KICK ASS!! Thanks a million seriously! Must have torn the seal on my lowside this past weekend and looks like I'll now be riding again THIS WEEKEND!!!:punk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

Quick question about this fix. I found a 1/4" ID oring. It seems a bit large for the push rod though, it that right? It not snug over the push rod and is quite lose.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks voor the post, i just repaired the seal as described at my circuitbike gsxr600k2 Lets see if its holds up. Great idea!! Greets from Holland

edit: No oil leak anymore!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a simple fix for this problem and it last indefinitely, cost about $15
You will need:
1/8 x 1" fender washer
1/4 ID o-ring
Permatex
15/64 drill bit
super glue
What year of GSX did you do this on?
I have a 1992 GSX 750F Katana that has the same problem. :(
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same problem with my 04 750 a couple years ago. The seal is supposed to be replaced from the inside of the motor since there is a lip on the outside keeping the seal in place. I was able to replace it without opening the motor. I pulled the seal out which did tear it up but it was trash anyways. Stuffed a rag into the hole to prevent debris from getting into the motor. Used an air grinder with a barrel grinder bit to remove the ledge holding the seal in. Cleaned up the area with a finer grit sandpaper. Cleaned all the shavings out before removing the rag. Installed the new seal to the same depth the old one was at. Ran a bead of hi temp rtv around the outside from the seal to the case. Put it all back together. Took me an hour. I never had a single drop leak from it and it didnt look like a hack job either.
Hello. First post here. I am in the process of doing maintenance on my bike as the winter winds down. While replacing my chain I noticed a ton of "gunk" in that general area and realized the push rod seal was leaking. When I learned that I had to drop the engine I was pretty unhappy. Luckily I saw this post and it is what I ended up doing. I replaced the seal with a hearty layer of permatex aviation gasket maker and pressed it back in. I may also do a bead of rtv silicone to be safe and also support the seal a bit more since that lip is gone. I don't see any real reason the seal won't stay put regardless, but why risk it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts