Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, unfortunately, took the old chain off the bike before unbolting the big nut with the bent over lock washer on the front sprocket. Leaving the bike in gear does not have enough compression to hold the sprocket to loosen the nut. Is there any way to wrap the old chain around the sprockets and hang onto it w/o making it endless again so that I can have a friend hold the brake so I can loosen the nut? Would a 530 chain be able to sit on the sprockets on the bike temporarily to do the same?

If anybody has any other ideas on how to remove the front sprocket I would greatly appreciate them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would put the bike in gear and use an impact gun set for the highest torque. Just burp the gun a few times and the nut should come right off.

Don't squeeze and hold the trigger.

-Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your really not supposed to use the gears to hold it while removing the nut. I'd try and see if the 530 chain will fit first and hold the setup with someone on the bike and holding the rear brake. If that doesn't work I'd run the old chain around the sprocket and then put a long screwdriver or metal rod through the links either behind the swingarm or if possible right behind the sprocket to keep it from spinning. That way you wouldn't have to use the gears to hold it.

An impact is the easiest way to go no matter what though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i just used a monkey wrench to hold the front sprocket and it came right off. i tried the screw driver through the chain links.......it scarred the side of the arm....
so be careful. good luck.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
If your going to switch to 530, might as well just change to 520 and be done with it...
-Karl

·
Registered
316 Posts
KJ1

520? Sounds like alot of risk for a very small gain. Especially considering that cases for these things are getting scarce.

Just my .02

-Dave

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The 520 is worth it if you are tring to shave some weight. Same tooth sprockets just switching to 520 will save you almost 4lbs. Use Alum rear sproket too. The risk is not to bad. I have used 520's on my 1100's for years as well as many others here.
Bones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts