Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my first bike, but it is the first I have actually tried to work on myself. I purchased a new top triple and am in the process of removing the stock one. So far I have removed 4 10mm bolts. 2 that are underneath and 2 that go around the forks. Do I just have to loosen the steering stem nut? I have been reading that the ignition needs to come off also? Seems it should just slip over that when it is loose and movable. A rubber mallet has been mentioned also. I am doing this with the bike on the ground, is that ok to do. I don't want to screw up my steering alignment. I have a K2 1000 what size 12pt should I get for the steering stem nut? I hope I have everything covered. The new one is made by pit eck, it seems to be a nice piece? Fairly priced. Thanks in advance for all help for a newbie.

·
Consistent, albeit slow
1,696 Posts
This is not my first bike, but it is the first I have actually tried to work on myself. I purchased a new top triple and am in the process of removing the stock one. So far I have removed 4 10mm bolts. 2 that are underneath and 2 that go around the forks. Do I just have to loosen the steering stem nut? I have been reading that the ignition needs to come off also? Seems it should just slip over that when it is loose and movable. A rubber mallet has been mentioned also. I am doing this with the bike on the ground, is that ok to do. I don't want to screw up my steering alignment. I have a K2 1000 what size 12pt should I get for the steering stem nut? I hope I have everything covered. The new one is made by pit eck, it seems to be a nice piece? Fairly priced. Thanks in advance for all help for a newbie.
First off, we need particulars on the bike: photos, price paid, mileage, etc. :lmao
You can't do this without the bike being supported, required is either an under the stem front stand, jackstands under the frame sliders or worst case, a floor jack under the exhaust or the engine supported in some way.
Most times the top clamp will not come off or go back on easily, especially if you have it in a bind. (You shouldn't have to mess with the bearing nuts, but I would recommend checking the torque on the headset while you have it that far down (RTFM), especially if you have any suspicions the bike has been wheelied alot, not that anyone would ever do that :lol ).
For the procedure you're asking about you'll need a 6 point 32mm socket for the stem nut and a T40 security type torx bit for the ignition. Those 2 bolts will have thread locker on them, so it may be difficult. IRRC, the steering will have to be full lock in one direction in order for the assembly to clear the tab on the steering head when you're using the rubber mallet to persuade the old top clamp.

It would be best to slightly loosen the top nut before you get it on the stands because it may be tight. Be sure to use a torque wrench for all fasteners on reassembly.

Lastly, post up pics of your new bike and the fancy top clamp. :wait

:facepalm :facepalm

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
you can get the top clamp off but you def want the weight off the front to put the new one on or it might seem like it will not go on properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the extensive reply. I will take some pictures and get them up soon. My next step is to order a front stand. I wasn't sure if the front had to be off the ground. There is no rush the new tree will be here Monday. It is coming from Florida. I also ordered a chrome dress up kit, fork caps and an exhaust plug from JDA, all with gsxr logos. My rear stand is coming next week so I can complete that job. I guess the rear wheel needs to come off for the rear axle caps. Any suggestions on a front stand. The rear stand set me back $100. The matching one would be another $100.

My bike has 10k on it, I bought it off craigslist from a person in Co. It was all stock, blue @ white. I paid $4,400 and it is in awesome condition. I since put a full Ti Force exhaust, power commander, bar ends, grips, tank pad and some chrome caps and such. I also put a new set of Metzlers on, and a sportech wind screen. I will try to get some pics up tonight.

Thanks for the help!!
Angelo
:cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Forgot to mention some parts from a place in IN, chain guard, and heel guards. Custom seats from a place in PA, and a chrome custom gas cap with logo from here in IL. I just took a bunch of pictures for you guys and I will get them on here tonight. I don't mention company names because I don't want to step on sponsors toes?

How is the Paddock front stand? Its cheap.

·
Consistent, albeit slow
1,696 Posts
.... Does it have to be an under stem front stand or can I get the one that supports under the forks?
:sad You need to get the weight OFF the forks..... under the stem OR the frame/engine.

Good luck and be safe on that 1000. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:sad You need to get the weight OFF the forks..... under the stem or the frame/engine.

Good luck and be safe on that 1000. :)
Understand, does it have to be pitbull or vortex. Who else has a reliable stem stand? I know you get what you pay for.....

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
You can easily just put a small floor jack under the header and jack up just a hair bit. It is NOT like you have to lift the whole damn bike off the ground. I'm talking just a little bit.
Also, you may need the security torx bit to get the ignition off the tree.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,966 Posts
Your top clamp looks to be gold but I can only find red K1/K2 clamps on the Pit-Eck site. Do they offer them in various colors? Also, you seem to have a cap for the steering stem nut and a dress-up plate for the tank bolts. Are they from some other supplier?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pit Eck has several colors. I ordered mine polished. I had it chromed. The gold is the flash, it is a sweet chrome piece. A shop here in IL makes all the dress up chrome parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts