Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to go stage three but I feel I have no choice. Nobody wants to jet the bike with the stock airbox on. They expect to remove the carbs several times and from what they say this is a major whore of a job. To start they want DOUBLE the shop rate per hour to work the bike

Fastcat, If you have any pages in that manual that shows the "suzuki" way of removing the carbs/airbox I would be thankful if you could post them.

If anyone else has any tips or advice I would be thankful. I was told that you have to pry the box out with a crowbar and getting the boots off/on the carbs is almost impossible.

Yikes.. All sounds kinda scary to me. I guess I will go stage3 on the bike. Me temp swings from 120 to 40 degrees out here. I bet I have to rejet 3 times a year with stage 3

Thanks guys

CT

[ 05-03-2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: azgsxr11 ]

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I wish I had some helpful info for ya... the suzuki manual is (I think intentionally) vague about how to go about doing this... They have a list of "components that are removable without removing the motor"

...note that the airbox is conspicuously absent from that list. I'm *told* that it can be done, but I don't personally know anyone who has ever done it... My airbox got the hacksaw treatment after about 30 minutes of fighting it.

The brighter note is that it's not necessary to completely remove the carbs more than once to install the jet kit... and removing and re-installing the carbs with the airbox in place isn't anywhere near as bad as trying to remove the airbox itself. Main jet swaps and needle height adjustments can be made with the carbs installed. (replacing the phillips-head fasteners with allen-heads makes this *much* simpler) The only reason that you would have to remove the carbs again after initial installation of the jet kit is if you have to start tinkering around with the float-height adjustment... I didn't have to mess with that on mine after I initially set them all to 15mm (OEM they were about 14.5mm).

I wish I had some magic-mojo hints for ya... best I can offer is a hacksaw blade.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Remove the carbs, the alternater and then you can remove the airbox. No hacksaw necessary.

From what I've heard running GSX-Rs with CV carbs and individual filters (Stage 3) for the street is a waste of time money and horsepower. Even though it does look bad ass. If you are looking for powergain and easy jet changes maybe change your carbs to a set of mikuni RS or Keihin FCR Carbs. These are racing carbs and can be a little edgy for street riding but you will gain hp.

If you can get your carbs out yourself with the airbox in place then jet them yourself and keep the box. Don't pay for someone else to do it, it's not rocket science.

Any place that says they will charge double the hourly rate for hard work should go f*ck themselves
. Why is there an hourly rate to begin with? Let them do oil changes and slip ons.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can't believe they told you that they wanted double the shop rate, and that they wouldn't put in a stage 1! They're not mechanics, they are crooks! Maybe I just don't know how shops operate.
Anyhow, I think cutting the airbox out is the universal method. I've used a Sawzall before and it was kind of fun. It will be much easier to adjust the carbs that way too.

[ 05-03-2002, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: 88/750 ]

·
Registered
418 Posts
DOUBLE the shop rate!! Sound like they don't have a clue and don't want to learn anything!! Tell them to f#ck off!

I can't remember getting my airbox out, I've heard the mind blocks out traumatic experiences!! The fitting for the drain tube got a might "bent"...Other than that it's usable!

The stage 3 isn't so bad, at least it makes the bike easier to work on!

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I'm not familiar with the '91 but if it's as hard as my old GPZ you should rach for the hammer now.

my gixxer's box was easy though...I removed ALL the hardware around it, intake boots too if you need the room, and gave it a quarter turn, then pulled diagonally up and it rotated right out. It took a little "finesse" but plastic will "flex" before it breaks.

Good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Pulling the airbox out is a piece of cake. I cant believe someone would charge double. When i first did mine i was playing the carbs and ran it both stock and then with filters. It was a pain putting the stock box back on the first couple of times.. Now i can slap it on and off all with in 5 minutes. If i can do it i dont see how a shop cant do it ????/ hhhmmm Scew that shop !!!!

Loosen the carbs from their boots and loosen the clamps from the air box. Then there is a wire on each side of the air box that goes through some plastic rings on the box. Pull the wire bracket out . Bam the air box boots should be able to push into the box. After removing the thottle cable from the clipon housing slide the carbs to the left side of the bike. The carbs should fall out now.
Now pull out the alternator, there are three 12mm screws holding it in ...in a triangle. pull the alt out and the air box will come out with ease
then just reverse the process .... once you get good at it ..you can skip some steps and slap that box in and out when ever you feel like it ...and it would only take you but minutes
Good luck ...Hey one more thing BECAREFUL putting that alt back ..if you jack up that rubber ring on the alt , you have to buy the whole gasket set (3rings) from suzuki 35.00 . Thats alot for just one seal ..so becareful putting it on ....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Ricks750:
Pulling the airbox out is a piece of cake. I cant believe someone would charge double. When i first did mine i was playing the carbs and ran it both stock and then with filters. It was a pain putting the stock box back on the first couple of times.. Now i can slap it on and off all with in 5 minutes. If i can do it i dont see how a shop cant do it ????/ hhhmmm Scew that shop !!!!

Loosen the carbs from their boots and loosen the clamps from the air box. Then there is a wire on each side of the air box that goes through some plastic rings on the box. Pull the wire bracket out . Bam the air box boots should be able to push into the box. After removing the thottle cable from the clipon housing slide the carbs to the left side of the bike. The carbs should fall out now.
Now pull out the alternator, there are three 12mm screws holding it in ...in a triangle. pull the alt out and the air box will come out with ease
then just reverse the process .... once you get good at it ..you can skip some steps and slap that box in and out when ever you feel like it ...and it would only take you but minutes
Good luck ...Hey one more thing BECAREFUL putting that alt back ..if you jack up that rubber ring on the alt , you have to buy the whole gasket set (3rings) from suzuki 35.00 . Thats alot for just one seal ..so becareful putting it on ....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for the write up Rick. I am going to give this a shot later when the carbs come in.. Hope I dont mess up the ) ring.

CT

·
Registered
178 Posts
azgsxr11, putting a stage 3 jet kit is really a simple task. the only problem is getting the airbox out. you can either remove the alternator, or us a hack saw and remove it. i used a hack saw because i will never use it again. the cv-36's work great though with the stage 3 kit. once you remove the airbox, you can work on the carbs easy because you can turn them sideways and bring them up through the frame. once you have done this, you can get a piece of wood and set them right on top of your frame! this way, you don't have to remove your throttle cable. take it from me, it is not a big deal. hope this helps!

if you look at this pic, you can see the airbox is gone!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips man.. I have a line on a few sets of carbs right now. I think its in my best interest to just ditch these California 36cv's. I am worried about the jet kit not fitting as dynojet says not for California model bikes. I think I will remove the Alternator in case I ever want to put the box back in... I am worried about having to jet the carbs many times a year since We go from 40-120 degrees out here... I made a jagged 104hp on these junk carbs.. I cant wait to see what she makes with carbs, jetting, and my 40 state ignition...

CT

Originally posted by cide:
azgsxr11, putting a stage 3 jet kit is really a simple task. the only problem is getting the airbox out. you can either remove the alternator, or us a hack saw and remove it. i used a hack saw because i will never use it again. the cv-36's work great though with the stage 3 kit. once you remove the airbox, you can work on the carbs easy because you can turn them sideways and bring them up through the frame. once you have done this, you can get a piece of wood and set them right on top of your frame! this way, you don't have to remove your throttle cable. take it from me, it is not a big deal. hope this helps!

if you look at this pic, you can see the airbox is gone!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

1 - 10 of 10 Posts