Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time removing a motorcycle engine. I've watched all the YouTube vids I can and minus a coolant hose or two, I think it's ready to drop, but I want some more experienced eyes to take a look real quick before I go through with it since I am doing some things a bit differently.

1. I am leaving the oil cooler attached. I know it sounds a little silly but this engine has a fresh batch of Motul300v in it...I really don't want to waste it

2. I am using the frame sliders to support the front end. I'll have to remove this bolt obviously. I am guessing it's best to just suspend the entire front end with ratchet straps through the frame and a ladder?

3. Is there anything else I need to remove or is this good to go?

Forgive me if these questions are silly, but as you can see from the bearing race that is installed backwards in the steering stem (and my butchered attempts to dremel it out), I am not too inclined when it comes to this stuff :suicide

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
You should be good to go as long as all of your hoses and wires are all free and disconnected. You'll definitely need to find a way to hold that frame up though since those frame slider bolts/motor mounts have to obviously come out. It's a pretty simple process to drop the engine. Just take your time. Putting it all back together poses a few more challenges for a first timer. Hopefully you took pictures while disconnecting everything and/or at least have a service manual to help you with reassembly.

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
Since your bike is totally stripped, you might be better off making a square out of 2x4's and setting the engine on the square. Remove bolts and lift the frame off the engine. Just a thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should be good to go as long as all of your hoses and wires are all free and disconnected. You'll definitely need to find a way to hold that frame up though since those frame slider bolts/motor mounts have to obviously come out. It's a pretty simple process to drop the engine. Just take your time. Putting it all back together poses a few more challenges for a first timer. Hopefully you took pictures while disconnecting everything and/or at least have a service manual to help you with reassembly.
Yeah fortunately I am not putting it back together. The bike is being parted out, starting with the motor. I couldn't believe that the engine alone was worth $1600+ on these things...I only got the entire bike for $2100

Since your bike is totally stripped, you might be better off making a square out of 2x4's and setting the engine on the square. Remove bolts and lift the frame off the engine. Just a thought.

I am considering doing something like that. Ideally, I want to just suspend the engine in the air but there really are no points to run ratchet straps through.

Are there any commonly accepted areas to use as jack points on the engine? I have a car jack and the only viable spot I see is really the oil pan which sounds like a bad idea

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
Are there any commonly accepted areas to use as jack points on the engine? I have a car jack and the only viable spot I see is really the oil pan which sounds like a bad idea
That is the viable spot if you have to use a car jack although in theory and in practice it does seeem sketchy. But you'll be fine and so will the oil pan and drain bolt. Once you bring the motor down on the car jack there really is no need to leave it on said car jack for any longer than it takes for you to pick the motor up from the jack. :thumbup

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
That is the viable spot if you have to use a car jack although in theory and in practice it does seeem sketchy. But you'll be fine and so will the oil pan and drain bolt. Once you bring the motor down on the car jack there really is no need to leave it on said car jack for any longer than it takes for you to pick the motor up from the jack. :thumbup
Like Carnage said, I'll add, you can fold a towel a couple of times between the jack & pan to keep any sharp jack edges from digging into the pan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like Carnage said, I'll add, you can fold a towel a couple of times between the jack & pan to keep any sharp jack edges from digging into the pan

Thanks, so I should jack it up directly on the drain bolt?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,717 Posts
It sounds like it's too late but a chain hoist would make it a lot easier to raise and lower things, ex. to lower the engine onto some wood blocks. There are $35 ones on ebay.

There are protective pads that fit over the floor jack saddle like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-19-1405-Red-Jack-Pad/dp/B00387A6TC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1497198971&sr=8-10&keywords=floor+jack+pad#Ask

A less commonly seen part is a replacement saddle like this:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/floor-jack-saddle/A-p1090014e
I bought one at a flea market many years ago for $5 and it works great.

They avoid damaging the pan but, unlike the hoist, leave you with the engine sitting on the jack instead of on the ground or blocks.

I'm also not particularly comfortable with the drain plug on the bottom of the pan. I'd be thinking about some sort of support around other parts of the engine. The ebay engine listings are a source of ideas.

As a slight aside, the diameter of floor jack saddles has decreased over the years, apparently to make them cheaper. Mine has a 7 3/8" diameter, which used to be rather common. But nowadays they're much smaller. The larger diameter generally makes it easier to support things.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
So, let me get this straight;
You installed the upper steering stem race upside down;

And now you're 'parting it out?'

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
That's how I did my SV650 and was going to suggest for him to try. :cheers I found it a lot easier going back together since you're not trying to balance an engine on a floor jack and jack it up without it falling off the jack. It's a lot easier to just wiggle the frame around over the engine.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
That's how I did my SV650 and was going to suggest for him to try. :cheers I found it a lot easier going back together since you're not trying to balance an engine on a floor jack and jack it up without it falling off the jack. It's a lot easier to just wiggle the frame around over the engine.
This thread is particularly interesting to me, 'cause my crashed 2005 R1000 that I bought back from salvage for State Farm has a perfectly good engine w/ under 15K miles on it and the radiator, etc. is fine. After I check out my frame and florks closer- I may have to do just this very thing too.
Some great ideas- for me too, it would be easier to rest the motor on 2x4's and lift the frame off, then vice versa
Thanks- sorry, not trying to hijack.

OP- were there other problems with your bike too?
Was the engine running well?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This thread is particularly interesting to me, 'cause my crashed 2005 R1000 that I bought back from salvage for State Farm has a perfectly good engine w/ under 15K miles on it and the radiator, etc. is fine. After I check out my frame and florks closer- I may have to do just this very thing too.
Some great ideas- for me too, it would be easier to rest the motor on 2x4's and lift the frame off, then vice versa
Thanks- sorry, not trying to hijack.

OP- were there other problems with your bike too?
Was the engine running well?
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the bike except for a worn steering head bearing which was making the steering a bit notchy in the middle. After butchering that replacement, I made the decision to just part out the bike. The engine ran great.

I just picked up a wooden 2x4 rolling dolly from Home Depot for $11. I'll just stick it on this thing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I am running into an issue with the rear mounts being seized to the engine somehow.

I have all 4 bolts removed but the bottom rear mount doesn't want to budge at all and is preventing the engine from being dropped. Any ideas? I knew Suzuki engineering was good, but I didn't know it was that good!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
holy fucking shit I am an idiot. I left this super thin piece of plastic trim on the front end that holds the horn and it was somehow holding back the entire weight of the engine.

i got it out completely by myself using the ladder technique. i just ran ratchet straps through the area under the exhaust and was able to lower it gently

Attachments

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
holy fucking shit I am an idiot. I left this super thin piece of plastic trim on the front end that holds the horn and it was somehow holding back the entire weight of the engine.

i got it out completely by myself using the ladder technique. i just ran ratchet straps through the area under the exhaust and was able to lower it gently
Wouldn't it have been easier to just take the frame to a shop and have the bearing issue resolved, than to ruin a complete bike?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How exactly is the frame damaged? Pics? Maybe there's a solution.
Lol it's not damaged. I just wanted to tear down the bike for fun and as a learning experience. Also, I've been trying to sell it for quite some time now through Craigslist but no one wanted to cough up the $3,000 I was asking (fair price IMO considering what it had) and then I realized I could easily make that just by parting it out. So that is what I am doing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts