Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to buy a bike that has dog bones in it. Anyone have a write up or procedure on how to do this? Also how much would it cost to take it to a shop?

·
Registered
505 Posts
WTF are dog bones?

·
Registered
431 Posts
for the under-educated, they are lowering links. order the right ones, get a manual and do it yourself, unless you dont have tools/tech skills, then take it in, most shops charge by the hour or half hour, should take less then one

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
"Dog Bones" is a street name for the suspension links that run from the swingarm to the shock. You will need a 14mm and 17mm wrench to take the links off. To do this you need someone supporting the tail of the bike. Remove the nuts from the 2 bolts, and pull the bolts out. Now I am not sure why you are taking them out, info would be nice... But if you are lowering, then drop the tail of the bike down and put longer links in, or lift the tail up and put shorter links in. Put the bolts back through the holes and put the nuts on, and your set.

NOTE: The easiest way to do this is to take off the RH Fairing.

Scott

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
get a piece of re bar or similar size pipe and 2 jackstands.. slide the pipe throw the swingarm pivot and support on jack stands, that will unload the rear. or you can hang it from the rafters in the garage

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im taking them out because the vike was previously owned by a girl that needed it lowerd and I am 5'11'' and feel kinda tight on the bike. are there any suspension setitings i need to check when i take/change them? ie. alingment on a car.

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts