Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how to remove the washer/shims from the fron brake rotors to give them a more floating effect? This was done on the 1991 gsxr i used to own but i didnt do them. Id like to do it to my 92 anyone have any advise?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I have never heard of doing this to factory rotors. EBC and other aftermarket rotors come apart and you need to put new buttons in every so often.

You don't need to take them apart to polish the carriers.
Bones

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbie here.... I'm looking to replace the original 1992 GSXR750 rotor buttons with full floating buttons. Seems I need the button diameter and rotor thickness to order new floating buttons.

I think the rotor is 5mm.......but since I don't have my brakes here I need someone to let me know what diameter floating button I need to order.

Anybody know where I can buy a button kit for both front rotors ?

Thanks...... Mike in Bethesda, Md.

·
Retired Test Pilot.
282 Posts
Split the spring washer with a small cold chisel and take it off, it is the same idea as the aftermarket rotors but ALOT more noise since the buttons on OEM rotors are larger than aftermarket ones.
A few racers I knew in Daytona used to do it to their bikes and it did work quiet well at keeping the rotors from warping under hard braking but it was something to keep an eye on. (extra movement = extra wear)
Cool idea if you didn't have the extra jing to drop on aftermarkets but better to just bite the bullet and buy them in the long run for peace of mind.

Bill

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Split the spring washer wirh a small cold chisel and take it off, it is the same idea as the aftermarket rotors but ALOT more noise since the buttons on OEM rotors are larger than aftermarket ones.
A few racers I knew in Daytona used to do it to their bikes and it did work quiet well at keeping the rotors from warping under hard braking but it was something to keep an eye on. (extra movement = extra wear)
Cool idea if you didn't have the extra jing to drop on aftermarkets but better to just bite the bullet and buy them in the long run for peace of mind.

Bill
I did it on two bikes and regretted it - the rotors wore WAY too quickly... Or rather, the carrier did where it contacted the rivets, creating a lot of rotational play :thumbdown

It's also noisy as fuck, people asking you what's wrong with your bike all the time is kinda annoying :lmao

·
Retired Test Pilot.
282 Posts
I did it on two bikes and regretted it - the rotors wore WAY too quickly... Or rather, the carrier did where it contacted the rivets, creating a lot of rotational play :thumbdown

It's also noisy as fuck, people asking you what's wrong with your bike all the time is kinda annoying :lmao
LOL yeah sometimes they would throw some lights and a tag on and ride on the street and I would always tease about something falling apart on it as would others :hammer:lmao

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
FWIW, keeping the brake pistons clean so they can retract properly is a MUCH better option. Rebuild with new seals if necessary. Brake drag is almost always caused by sticking pistons - floating rotors on anything but an all-out race bike is really just treating the symptoms instead of curing the problem... Kinda like putting numbing cream on a bad case of herpes instead of getting the proper medication :lmao

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
The loose wobble of the 'modified' buttons also will push the pistons back into the caliper from hitting the pads all the time and when you go to brake the pads arent contacting the rotors right away. The previous owner of my 97 750 did the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts