Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while my manuls come in he mail im tearing my bike down to the carbs, my problem is the air box, how the fug do i get it off? i have the bike stripped down like this

but i can not seem to figure out how to get the airbox out, it looks to large to come out in any direction. to big to go foreward/back/up/down. because it flares out towards the front.
what do you guys do?
thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
airbox? we don't need no steenking aribox.

J/K, keep it if you can, it is so much easier to tune.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont think you people are understandign me. i want to remove it so i can get my carbs off...
i dont want to destroy it or get rid of it..

·
Registered
142 Posts
You actually remove the carburetors first then you can remove the air box. You may additionally have to remove the generator and othe stuff at the rear of the engine to get enough clearance to get the air box out.

If you leave the air box out, you are going to have to rejet the carburetors at minimum to get the thing to run properly again. I would recommend keeping the air box because with it removed the CV type carburetors will work like crap and you will lose gobbs of mid range power.

my $0.02

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am keeping the box lol why does everyone think im not?
anyways if i have to remove the carbs first, then i dont need to remove the airbox at all do i?

·
Registered
142 Posts
thats right!... you don't need to remove the air box, just remove the air snorkels and then work the carburetors out of there thru the top and then you can remove the throttle cables,

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do i get the 4 snorkels out that attach between the head and the carbs?

·
Registered
142 Posts
take the snorkels out on the air box side, that should give you enough room to slide the carbs. back and get them out, if that is not enough room you then need to loosen the air box mountings and move the air box back a little,

·
Registered
156 Posts
On the side of the air box , there is a pin that inserts into the airbox ... pull it out on both sides and lossen the clamps that hold the airbox to the carbs. Once lossened push the boots into the airbox , now the carbs are free of the airbox . Next loosen the clamps that hold the carbs to the boots on the engine. Remove the thottle cable from the housing on the handle bar. Now just wiggle the carbs out to the left of the bike and they will come out easliy. Should take about 5 minutes , To install just reverse the process..

·
Super Moderator
17,292 Posts
Originally posted by CCGIXXER:
thats right!... you don't need to remove the air box, just remove the air snorkels and then work the carburetors out of there thru the top and then you can remove the throttle cables,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">SAme bike..no airbox..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts