Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having one hell of a PITA day. First, I stripped the bolt that attaches the rear master cylinder unto the heel plate, while trying to put on my Vortex rearsets.

Then I realize I'm having one PITA time trying to remove the stock shock to put on my Ohlins. It's the first I worked on the K4 750. I put my car's portable jack between the stock rear fender and the rear wheel (the way I did the F4 to hold the rear up). It took quite a while and a tip from a friend who's out on race weekend. He said wiggle it out from the left side. Done, after 1.5 hours of trying different heights and trying to remove the dog bones instead so I have a clear path (I couldn't remove the dog bones, they're freaking tight).

Now comes the challenge of putting the Ohlins. It wouldn't go back in even with wiggling from the left side. I even tried my buddies tip to put the vortex pegs on so I can put a jack underneath them to hold the pegs, and let the swing arm drop. Tried that with car's portable jack and a $15 jack from Sears. nada. I don't have enough height even with spacers below both jacks to get enough clearange.

Any tips from y'all? I finally gave up after a 4 hours of trying this. Now I have no shock in the back and it's all squatting and looking limp.
It's only on the rear stand.

Is there also any damage to the rear while I leave it like that. I'll have to wait for next week when a buddy comes back to try to put the shock on again. The whole spacer under the jack just wasn't stable, and wasn't safe. The bike almost tipped over when I tried to put it on the stand w/o a shock in the back, not knowing how much height I lost that it tilted to the other side.

Sorry for long post. Just venting a little.

P.S. The only positive thing out of this is being able to at least put the 10mm spacer for shock, and finding my coolant is a little low and one fairing bolt was about to fall out.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Take off the rear wheel that may help, when I did mine I just threw a thick rubber matt under my frame slider and laid the bike on its side and it was cake. I left the wheel on too

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so it was easy to push down the swingarm when the bike is on it's side. granted i've planning on changing the case covers soon so i can drain the oil and not have it flow up to the air filter, etc. to help the bike being on it's side.

removing the rear wheel wouldn't fix it since it wasn't really in the way when trying to slide the shock from underneath.

else, i'm still left with the option of holding the bike up by the frame or pegs to lower the swingarm.

these are my only two choices? bike is stilling looking limp.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Use jack stands under teh foot pegs, lift the bike up high so the swing arm can drop down, and you rotate it right out. Takes me about 2 minutes, but I've done it 50-60 times.... When you get it in the right posistion it will almost fall out.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks gmdboston. i finally got it in using jack stands. one question, the swingarm wouldn't drop all the way to the floor. i thought it would. but it's hitting the stock mid-pipe. is that normal? but i did have enough clearance to insert it from bottom, and just wiggle it around. i just thought the swingarm would drop all the way to the floor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The swing arm will drop until the link hits some thing, like your mid pipe. It is fine, nice job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts