Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently learned much to my dismay that my Kerker exhaust requires removal to change the oil filter. Since I ride my bike a fair bit this is going to be a big pain. Has anyone tried to fit a remote oil filter to and older GSXR? I've seen a lot of kits for cars and figure it should be pretty straightforward if I can find the parts (and if I can't I might be able to machine one myself). Anyone had any axperience with this? Does the high oil temp and/or pressure of the GSXR require any particular precautions? Anyone know what size lines I should use for a moderate relocation (maybe 12")?

Matt

------------------

·
Registered
434 Posts
bcjohn has a remote filter tucked under the tail of his 1100 talk to him

------------------
86 moded one end to the other

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I've got Earl's billet remote base under the hump (aftermarket bodywork) behind my seat, with the optional cutout area cutout and some mesh riveted in to allow for cooling. The remote base takes a Fram HP1 filter which is quite robust, has a high capacity etc etc.

As you suggested, the stock placement has been replaced by a machined piece of billet lockwired in, female threaded with -8 fittings and hoses to the filter. On the pressure side, I have a (you guessed it, Earl's
) one way check valve to keep all the additional oil from flowing back into the sump when the engine is off. Obviously, you have to position things a touch with gravity in mind.

Under the filter is a little aluminum drip tray with a 1/2" spout which I attach a piece of vinyl hose to when changing oil. Given that the sidestand slope 'agrees' with the change flow, there is no mess to clean up except in the drip tray. I did find it necessary to tape up the underside of the bodywork with DEI and Thermo-Tec insulated tape. Not hot enough to cause damage to the fibreglass, but it did warm up the damned seat too much!!

You can use cheap garden hose lengths to get a rough idea as to routing. Using the cheap vinyl stuff is best, since it doesn't like to bend. Neither does the stainless braided -8 hose, so you want to replicate its 'drape' as best as possible. Also ensure that the hose doesn't touch anything metal. It will eventually demolish it.

With the water cooled 93 1100 (mine) I had to remove the air box and put the filter under the seat, due to the crowding. I believe that with an oil cooled bike you can mount the filter under the right side panel where it 'bulges' out rear of the rider's calf. Also, I don't think you'd have to dump the airbox.

If you have any questions, give me a shout at [email protected]

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
so how often do you replace the oil?!
take the exhoust off, paint it and change filter. what youre planning now is more work, oil dripping etc.!!!

------------------

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help BCJohn, I'll have to swing by my local Earls shop and see what they have. You wouldn't know what the thread on the stock oil filter is do you? I saw that Perma-Cool lists a universal car kit that fits 18, 20, and 22mm (all 1.5mm pitch) oil filters. If it fits I might just use Earls lines with that kit.

As for being more work than it's worth I change my oil every 3k miles (cheap insurance) and unbolting both the oil cooler and the header that often seems like a bit much and turns a 20 minute oil change into a 2+ hour project. Not to mention that every time you pull that stuff you risk cross threading a bolt or screwing up the exhaust seals. And besides with a kit like this you get a much larger choice of larger, cheaper, filters. And it looks cool ha ha ha.

For anyone that's interrested here's a link to the Perma-Cool kit:
http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page27.html

Matt

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martijn:
so how often do you replace the oil?!
take the exhoust off, paint it and change filter. what youre planning now is more work, oil dripping etc.!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't quite get you there Martin. Its now a real nobrainer. The rear bodywork comes off in a few seconds, grab the filter wrench, the oil drips into the recycling bucket, install the new one and away I go. Paint the pipe???

I change by either time/distance, whichever comes first. If I'm doing a lot of city stuff, then oil/filter every 2000km, otherwise 3000km.

------------------

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case anyone's following this I fould out the filter is M20 x 1, so the Perma-Cool kit won't fit. If anyone knows any kits that fit this size let me know.

Matt

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
do whatever you want, the kit they sell on that link looks very nice!
I hope it works out for you, I never thought you would change the oil so much..
I like modifications but I would never do your plan..!
(I have a '85 gsx 1100 EF with '90 1127 R engine)
good luck!!!

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martijn:
do whatever you want, the kit they sell on that link looks very nice!
I hope it works out for you, I never thought you would change the oil so much..
I like modifications but I would never do your plan..!
(I have a '85 gsx 1100 EF with '90 1127 R engine)
good luck!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's kinda what makes mods unique! Most people just dump money into the motor and leave a stock chassis/drivetrain etc.. I like to do just the opposite.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts