Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you remember the turbocharged bikes by the big four made in the 1980s? It was supposed to be the way of the future. Mid size bike engine size and low weight with the power & torque of the litre class. They came close but the high price, turbo lag and high price of insurance was some of the reasons they didn't catch on. My favourite was the Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo. It was the last made, most powerful and some say the best factory turbo.

It looks like the turbo bikes (forced induction) from the eighties really are the way of the future. Suzuki maybe releasing a NEW 600cc turbo.

Suzuki's New Turbo Secrets | MCN

Also Kawasaki already has a Supercharged motorcycle in production. The H2 and H2R.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-Ninja-H2R

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Yes,I remember them very well. I fell in love with the Suzuki XN-85. I missed out on a chance to buy a low mileage XN-85 a few years back for a very attractive price.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I guess I don't see the point, why have a 750 turbo when you can have a 1000 na?
Or,do like Kawasaki did and forget a power adder on the smaller bikes,slap one on a literbike and rule the roost. As of now,the street legal H2 is making 270rwhp with an uncorked ECU and bolt on mods. For a cost of roughly $3500-4000. Insane.:punk

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I would love to stumble across a Suzuki XN85, rarest of the bunch. I passed on the GPZ and the Seca recently though both piqued my interest.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
I would love to stumble across a Suzuki XN85, rarest of the bunch. I passed on the GPZ and the Seca recently though both piqued my interest.
I rode the kawi back in the day when I had my ninja 1000. Get the turbo spinning, spank it and damn, that thing did move.

I also rode the honda (the 500, not the 650) and I think I like it best, if only for the looks.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
I rode the kawi back in the day when I had my ninja 1000. Get the turbo spinning, spank it and damn, that thing did move.

I also rode the honda (the 500, not the 650) and I think I like it best, if only for the looks.

It's hard to tell by that picture that this bike is indeed....TURBO. :lmao

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
True, true... lots of wasted real estate there.

Fixed
Another great photochop...Im so glad I un-banned yer ass :lmao

Seriously though,I have a weak spot for those ground breaking,innovative bikes from the early-mid '80s.
Even if some were destined for failure from he get-go. Do any of you remember the Yamaha Vision,or the 6cyl Honda CBX,or the single cylinder Yamaha SRX 650 even the original Hans Muth designed '82 Katana 1100?
I remember getting the latest issues of Cycle magazine and these bikes were plastered on the cover's. They were the latest&greatest designs of their time,some went on to be classics,and some just faded away into obscurity.

Attachments

·
7,744 Posts
Love the big 'Kat' !!!!
I recall first time I saw it. It was an '82 issue of popular mechanics where they compared random bikes*, including the CX500 turbo and that big new Katana.

I remember driving in the car and actually fantasizing about instead being on that Katana. It looked too damned crazy / futuristic :drool

* also the KZ1100 D1 'Spectre', which actually won the comparison (... a cruiser / custom :dissapointed). How come I can remember this much detail from 30+ years ago and now, I can never remember where I put my fucking keys 10 minutes ago.....

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I recall first time I saw it. It was an '83 issue of popular mechanics where they compared random bikes*, including the CX500 turbo and that big new Katana.

I remember driving in the car and actually fantasizing about instead being on that Katana. It looked too damned crazy / futuristic :drool

* also the KZ1100 D1 'Spectre', which actually won the comparison (... a cruiser / custom :dissapointed). How come I can remember this much detail from 30+ years ago and now, I can never remember where I put my fucking keys 10 minutes ago.....
I remember the Spectre,simply because it had kick ass 2pg ad in the magazines. How about the Kawi Eliminator 900&its baby brother the 250?

**I'm gonna change the thread title to suit the direction we've moved it;and simply because the OP was a 1 post wonder

Attachments

·
7,744 Posts
I had a buddy with the Eliminator 900. Long & low, I loved how easy it was to make that thing blast forward. Then I decided to do that with my brother on the back and learned how scary a 12-oclock is on a looong-wheelbase bike :eek:hmy

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGfJ9IqXcoE
Jay "Pee-Wee" Gleason rocks. He contracted himself out to different manufacturers and magazines for testing. He was the standard by which the bikes were measured.

I never understood why the Japanese manufacturers dumbed their cruisers down after the mid 80's. The V-Max is the only performance cruiser that had any longevity.

I did some work on a friend's V65 Magna...installed weld up cams and a top end oiling kit, rebuilt the carbs etc...it was a strong runner, made you smile.

·
7,744 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGfJ9IqXcoE
Jay "Pee-Wee" Gleason rocks. He contracted himself out to different manufacturers and magazines for testing. He was the standard by which the bikes were measured.

I never understood why the Japanese manufacturers dumbed their cruisers down after the mid 80's. The V-Max is the only performance cruiser that had any longevity.

I did some work on a friend's V65 Magna...installed weld up cams and a top end oiling kit, rebuilt the carbs etc...it was a strong runner, made you smile.
Yep, PeeWee rode the V65 Magna to the first ever 10 second 1/4 mile for a stock bike in '83. Dude was a legend.

EDIT: perhaps I should have looked at your youtube video BEFORE posting that little fact :suicide

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you remember the turbocharged bikes by the big four made in the 1980s? It was supposed to be the way of the future. Mid size bike engine size and low weight with the power & torque of the litre class. They came close but the high price, turbo lag and high price of insurance was some of the reasons they didn't catch on. My favourite was the Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo. It was the last made, most powerful and some say the best factory turbo.

It looks like the turbo bikes (forced induction) from the eighties really are the way of the future. Suzuki maybe releasing a NEW 600cc turbo.

Suzuki's New Turbo Secrets | MCN

Also Kawasaki already has a Supercharged motorcycle in production. The H2 and H2R.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-Ninja-H2R
having owned all except the Suzuki... Im positive you'll never see a factory turbocharged motorcycle available to the general public.

The GPz outclassed many bikes in HP/torque dept. Even in the early 2000s my old 750 was turning 120+ 1/8th mile traps & over 150 in the 1/4. The Hayabusa had been on the market for well over a year. After riding one I could see the time had arrived for reliable factory hyper bores! In the mid 80s... 200 turnkey horsepower out of a 4 cylinder was going for $25,000. Now in 2015 you can buy a big bore thats just a few key strokes & bolt ons from an honest 200 rwhp and over 110 ft lbs of torque and still have $10,000 left in your wallet! :wink2::wink2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts