Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had new Dunlop 208GP tires (180 rear) mounted on my Gix1K wheels and I reinstalled the wheels on the bike today. So far, I love the tires but I'm not sure if I installed the right-side spacer correctly - it seemed to be able to go in either recessed or flush with the rear wheel. Can someone please look at the picture at my website and tell me if it's installed correctly or backwards?

http://www.geocities.com/jdonavich/GSXR/

Since I don't have a service manual, I'm asking you guys for help. The bike rides fine but I just want to be sure. Also, I adjusted the chain to where the sliding bracket is just touching the 3rd notch on both sides of the swingarm. How can I be sure the wheel is aligned correctly? Thanks for the help.

[ 01-23-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: mrweelr ]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm specifically referring to the metal spacer (dust cover) thing that resides between the wheel and swingarm on the right side. Good joke about the disk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks man, looks like it's in there right
Appreciate the help

[ 01-23-2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: mrweelr ]

·
Consistent, albeit slow
1,696 Posts
Originally posted by eSeMeS1K2:

I JUST WENT AND TOOK THESE....

hope they help; haven't removed the rear wheel yet...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Could you get just a wee bit closer???...I'm still not sure.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, my buddy and I adjusted the chain together. I'd say there's about 1/2" of play up or down and both sides are evenly lined up on the 3rd notch. Will look closer at the sprocket tomorrow to make sure it's not rubbing the chain links.

·
Registered
717 Posts
don't trust the marks on the swing arm and I believe you need more like 1 1/2" of play(so you don't stretch the chain, to much friction, etc.). anyone correct me if needed about the play. As far as proper alienment goes, a piece of string pulled back from the front tire contact patch, then pulled tight back to the rear tire so that it just touches the sides of the front of the rear tire, now look at the space between the string and the back edge of the tire(where the sidewall meets the tread in both cases), they should be the same on both sides. what your trying to accomplish, is to line up the rear tire, so that it points exactly at the front tire contact patch. ps also look at the chain from the rear to see if you have a straight line down the sides not bent. :)by the way this works best with a rear spool stand or swing arm stand.

[ 01-23-2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: pnkpn3r ]

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
0.8" to 1.2" total play as measured by pushing the chain down and then lifting it. Measure at the center of the chain and rotate the wheel to find the tightest spot and measure there. Measurement should be made with bike unloaded and supported on rear stand. The goal is to have 0.5" total play with the rear axle, swingarm pivot, and countershaft lined up. This is the point at which the chain will be tightest. The factory spec is meant to approximate this. If your shock is extended you might want a little extra play. An R1 specs 1.5" to 2.0" due in part to its longer swingarm. You drag racers with long swingarms should consider that when setting chain tension. Here's a question: How much force should one put on the chain when measuring? Harley actually sells a tool to provide 10 lbs of force when adjusting their belt drives. Like the question of how many degrees is "cold" for cold tire pressure, I suspect I'll never know.

[ 01-23-2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Palomartian ]

·
Registered
502 Posts
looking at your bike from the back, the right side of the swingarm should have 1 more mark showing than the left. Trust me I ride with a group of 8 gix 1000's, and this is my second one ive had. The 01 and 02 are off 1 mark from the other side on all of them. Use the string method and you will see for yourself.

[ 01-24-2003, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: crazyman1 ]

·
Registered
502 Posts
If your marks are both equal on both sides of your swingarm I guarantee your tire isn't straight with your front. Funny thing is after I bought my 02 the dealer I talked to him and he said oh by the way we straightened your alignment up. I said before I looked the mark should be 1 more showing on the right side(looking from the back) and sure enough they did it correctly. Took it home and checked, it was spot on. All my buddies had to do the same thing.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Originally posted by Alfalfa:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by eSeMeS1K2:

I JUST WENT AND TOOK THESE....

hope they help; haven't removed the rear wheel yet...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Could you get just a wee bit closer???...I'm still not sure.....

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">\
sure, let me put the microscopic lense on real quick,.......

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I loosened the rear axle (36mm nut) and used the string method. With both sides adjusted exactly the same (3rd notch), the rear wheel seemed to be VERY slightly cocked to the right. When I pulled the string around the front tire all the way past the back tire, the gap between the string and the rear edge of the back tire was a bit larger on the right side. I made sure the string was just touching the front edge of the back tire on both sides when I looked at it.

Another thing I did was look at the top and bottom of the rear sprocket in relation to the chain. The sprocket teeth seemed to be just a tad closer to the right side of the chain at the front of the sprocket which would make sense if the back wheel was shifted slight to the right. Anyway, I loosened the right-side adjuster about 1/2 a mark and retested everything - now it's dead nuts on (right side: 3 marks showing, left side: 3 1/2 marks showing.

The final measurements were made after I retorqued the axle nut, of course. I doubt if the misalignment made any difference since it was so slight, but I guess it doesn't hurt to get it close to perfect. Thanks again for the help guys

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
crazyman1 said:
looking at your bike from the back, the right side of the swingarm should have 1 more mark showing than the left. Trust me I ride with a group of 8 gix 1000's, and this is my second one ive had. The 01 and 02 are off 1 mark from the other side on all of them. Use the string method and you will see for yourself.

Well what do you know, it's the same on my K3.
The right side has approximately one more mark showing than the left side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts