Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been able to walk around the neighborhood. My lung needs the thearapy to help it completely expand and the muscles in my ribs need the exersize. I feel like a broke-down old man wheezing around the neighborhood with both wrists in casts and my left arm in a sling. Wait, I am a broke-down old man. After calling JAY at APE to thank him for his help & generousity I walked the 5 blocks to my local library. On the way I met a new neighbor with a '92 gixxer 600. Nice guy too. He's had it about 2 months and he wants more power
I told him to check out the Water Cooled forum and maybe he can get some ideas. I'm not looking forward to my 8am CT appointment to check out my spleen but I'll just keep my fingers...er...in the casts, instead of crossed.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Hope ya pull through alright Simon ... keep the therapy goin

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You came this far... No time to worry now... You will be fine... Gixxers are tough mutha fudgers!!!! Take a lickin and keep on ridin!!!
Get well soon bro!!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
After a crash like yours...I'd be happy just to be up and walking...the jogging will come with time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wish you a speedy recovery.

My friend also had some severe injuries - and after the rehab he's quite fine. He completely recovered from his accident and he's "as good as new".

All the best!

Lemmy69

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Great news! Glad to see that your working at you PT. I have been through it many times myself. Buck Up Little Camper!
Bones

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The CT went very well. I still have fluid around the left lower lung but it is greatly reduced since last Thursday. My spleen looks better too. The MD showed my CT today. As of today, >50% is "contused" . I'm not a radiologist but I've lookd a few dozen films over the years. It made me "gulp" when I saw how bad it is...and I came very close to having surgury...the MD's are really playing that down to keep me from freakin out. A little medical knowledge is a dangerous thing.

But I'm alive, almost pain free, and the casts come off Monday...and the pin in my left wrist comes out Monday too.

No pics of my wife in a nurse's outfit (perv
) but I'm gonna take pics of my arms & scars. I'm sure someone will dig that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
All the best wishes with your P.T. and rehab!!Sounds like you are doing really well.. Wish I could have hooked up when I was still living in S.W. Wi.....(Platteville)... There are some great road there..Only problems is they have snow on them for so long!!

Take care and keep after it!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
good work.

so does that mean you get to keep your spleen, or is that still up in the air.

Chicks dig scars.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by karl_1052:
good work.

so does that mean you get to keep your spleen, or is that still up in the air.

Chicks dig scars.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The spleen is still iffy. I have to be cautious for the next 2 months. No soccer, hockey, disco dancing or activities that could rupture the "casing" around the spleen. For those of you without a medical background, Think of my spleen as a water balloon that should be filled with a steak...instead it is filled with chili meat & hamburger...and as time goes by it is converting back to steak.

How's that for an analogy? Who just became a vegetarian?

My wife, a devout vegetarian
, is good at rolling her eyes when someone asks "how'd you get that scar?" 'Cause she knows I'm long-winded.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Hiya Simon,

I'm really glad to hear you doing better, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you about not needing surgery...

I dunno if this is even an issue for you or not, or if I'm just blowing hot-air... ANYway, I have *severe* problems and occasionally pain/numbness with my legs due to a condition known as "sciatica" ...basically the disks in my lower back are damaged enough to allow the vertebrae to squeeze the nerve bundle that's connected to my legs and it does odd (and painful) things to me sometimes (especially after a fall). I also have this chemical dependency tendency, and I try to avoid any sort of narcotic/addictive pain pills whenever I can (bummer huh?) ...I've tried a lot of different alternatives to the narcotics, and long story short, the thing that is most helpful for me is accupuncture and chinese medicine. You *may* wanna give that a shot if any of what I say sounds like you. The "medicine" part of the chinese stuff is this evil-smelling tea that they tell me to make out of stuff that looks like swamp-rot... smells worse, and tastes... well, ya hafta just kinda gulp it and chase it with something else... it works well for me as re: pain-management and I just wanted to share that in case you were thinking about any of this stuff along those lines.

In any case, lemme know when I can un-cross my fingers, `k?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fastcat...Thanks for the herbal suggestions for pain control. I'm the type of person that will have a beer or a couple of ibuprofen to take the edge off aches & pain. I tried pot once back in '89 and that's it. If the pain from my ribs hadn't been so bad I'd be just on ibuprofen. I stopped taking Oxycontin Tuesday. I switched to Hydrocodone, but only 30 minutes before bed time. I'm really not in pain anymore I'm just achey on my spine where ribs 3-8 broke as I try to lie down to sleep. The last two nights I've been able to get comfortable sleeping on my right side with my left arm lying on 2 pillows. I can sleep for 5-6 hours in that position. Otherwise I just need 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for the back ache. I'll just have to play it by ear once all the bones have "healed" to see if there's any pain such as your.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Simon,

Glad to hear your getting better. Don't sweat that spleen too much. It sure would be nice to have it heal up, but if it decides not to and has to come out it's not a huge deal. I lost mine a couple years ago, and besides a special shot (pneumovax)you have to get every 5 years and a little extra caution when you get a fever - it won't affect your daily life one bit not to have it. Some docs will tell you that you'll have to take antibiotics every day for the rest of your life - thats BS so don't just buy into it. Some people will tell you that you'll get sick more often - thats BS too. Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery !!

·
Banned
982 Posts
Oh Please!!!!!!!!

Loosen Up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Simon,or what ever Your name is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Bust Your Ass Trying To get Wild On A Bike You Had No Clue About!!!!!!!!
Now Gixxer.com Is trying to do A raffle for Your Medical Bills!!!!!!!!!

I Myself........Am Glad Your Not Dead!!!!!
But Dude!!!!!!!!!If I read right........Your Gonna Be Fixing up this bike.. this winter!?!

Hospitals Billz Come Fist Buddy!!!!!!

Even If You are A Moderator!!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents----->(You have No Kids,No Mortgage,-->NOTHING!!!!!)Handle It Dude!!!!!!"Fuck That!"

I Have all of the Above,and If I Crash........It's On Me!!!!No "Gixxer.com Welfare!"

Sorry,If I Sound Mean..But,Your Coming Off To Me As A Synpathy Case!!!!!!!

YOU CRASHED------->YOU HANDLE IT DUDE!!

( I would Never except money from strangers...Especially

·
Registered
102 Posts
Joey:

To set the record straight, Simon has a wife, a young daughter, and plenty of other commitments. As I understand it, he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, or unsafe for conditions. If you don't agree with the raffle, don't buy a ticket. And since the money is being donated to him, he can use it any way he feels is necessary. If that means buying food for his cats, than that's how it'll be spent. When I last spoke with him, he told me he wants to rebuild the bike to find out what went wrong with it, if anything. So just chill out.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joey...Did your meth wear off? Monogodo is spot on. I didn't ask for the crash, the injuries, the donations, the well wishers or any shit out of a punk like you. But I have to deal with all of that.

I'm a lucky person. I own everything free and clear. My house is paid for. Both our 4Runners air paid for. I have three debts. $286 to Visa/US Bank, $84,000 and counting to UW Hospital, and a debt of gratitude to EVERYONE on gixxer.com that wants me to heal whether they gave a penny or not.

The donations accumulated by Mr Gixxer & Jon T Flesh won't even begin to put a dent in what I owe for medical bills. But the simple gesture of typing "get well" made by others has helped my attitude and outlook for my physical well being.

If you want to keep giving me shit Joey, I'll be happy to get my wrists strong enough to grab you by the nuts, rip them off and shove them down your throat.

Just push me hard enough and you'll be sweating every time you see a green toyota in your rear view mirror. It might just be me.

You worthless turd.

[ 09-23-2002, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts