Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions on charging issues.

Ive had a read through this post (unable to link) :
"836748-trying-understand-regulator-rectifier-stator-issues-options" and understand the process as such, but my mechanical skills are better than my electrical skills

My bike is a K7 750 which doesnt get used that much, however the battery seems to drop charge when used.
So either is simply a battery on the way out, or more serious charging issues.

As far as the test goes via the manual Section 9-8 Trouble shooting:

1) No accessories
2) No leaks < 1mA
3) Regulated voltage 14.95 v (5000 rpm, full hL)
4) Resistance - all about 0.8 and 0 to earth
5) No load performance
With the generator unplugged, I couldnt get any voltage between contacts, so I dont know if thats my testing method or a sign somethings wrong

Im not sure if I have enough posts for photos, so will try and post some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive taken the generator cover off for a look and there is no obvious damage - is it possible to be faulty without visible burning?
This is the tester I am using, id this the correct setting for testing for 65v?

Attachments

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,146 Posts
The generator produces AC voltage and your DMM seems to be configured for DC voltage measurement. If you get 15V at the battery at 5000 rpm though, your charging system would appear to be working fine. Perhaps your battery is worn. What voltage do you get with the bike turned off and once you switch it on, but before starting the motor?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its 12.75 off and 12.05 when key is turned on (headlight on etc)
Good point about the AC, thats my lack of electrical knowledge. I do have a tester with AC as well, so that might give me a better indication

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,146 Posts
The setting on the knob, yes. But your red probe is plugged to the terminal for DC current measurement. You probably need the one labeled VΩmA, but consult the manual of your DMM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts