Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.

I'm going to be re-gearing my 05 600 rather soon. and I'm going to be going with a black/red theme as far as the looks of the bike. Now, I'm really wanting to pick up a 47 tooth rear sprocket for her but am looking for something in Red. Now, I know steel can and never will be "red" but aluminum can be. I've also heared some "horror" stories as far as aluminum sprockets go as far as teeth snapping off of them and such.

anyone have any recommendations as far as what rear sprocket to pick up aluminum or not?

thanks

I'm probably going to be going with a 15 tooth AFAM front sprocket and DID chain (x ring) and keep the 525 sizing.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Sounds like you already know what you want. Aluminum wears faster then steel....... Anodized aluminum wears faster than regular aluminum.

I went with looks and strenght.......

15AFAM front, DID VM chain, and a sidewinder 47 rear sprocket.

I love the way the sidewinder looks! But it is not red so......

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm.. do you have a link to the sidewinder comapnies page? or a shop that sells them?

thanks.

I guess i kind of did already make up my mind. I'd rather have somethign that's not going to grind down to nothing then look pretty.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you wanted to put some time into it, and really do it custom, maybe you could powder coat a steel sprocket? Get them to tape off the 1/2 inch or so that has the teeth and part the chain might contact, and powdercoat the rest red

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I do believe that the powdercoating process would fuck up the hardness of the sprocket in which I would not trust the sprocket a bit after that.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I do believe that the powdercoating process would fuck up the hardness of the sprocket in which I would not trust the sprocket a bit after that.
The powdercoating process heats metal to 400 degrees
- unless your sprocket is made of plastic, that will in NO WAY affect it's strength. It probably heats up to almost that when you are riding. The roughing of a surface to be powdercoated is done with glass bead media- not sand. So what part of powdercoating do you think weakens the metal??

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You talk like 400 degrees is normal???? If this is such a great thing.... and it is cheap to do..... WHY doesn't everyone do it then????

400 degree sprocket temp?????

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
There is two things that I do not "play" with....

1. Tires
2. Drive system

Either one fucks up on you..... and you can die. Sprockets are cheap, so why take a chance.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I can't answer as to why the whole world isn't doing it
but...

The melting temperature of aluminium is around 660 degrees Celsius (1220 Fahrenheit). From what I've been able to figure out, (and most places aren't totally forthcoming about their processes) the normal curing temperature is probably somewhere between 100 and 150 degrees Celsius. So, there's very little chance a curing oven is going to get hot enough to melt it, or even get close to melting it. Metals will start to "creep" at about 1/3 of their melting temperature. Think of this as the metal getting soft and drooping. However unless there's some sort of load on the material, it's unlikely it will do this under it's own weight until it get to more than half its melting temperature. So if the oven gets ridiculously hot by mistake the sprocket could warp. Otherwise, you'd have to be riding your bike in the oven to cause a problem. AND- we are talking about steel here, which has a much higher melting point

"See Dad, that Metallurgical Engineering degree is good for something! "

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I can't answer as to why the whole world isn't doing it
but...

The melting temperature of aluminium is around 660 degrees Celsius (1220 Fahrenheit). From what I've been able to figure out, (and most places aren't totally forthcoming about their processes) the normal curing temperature is probably somewhere between 100 and 150 degrees Celsius. So, there's very little chance a curing oven is going to get hot enough to melt it, or even get close to melting it. Metals will start to "creep" at about 1/3 of their melting temperature. Think of this as the metal getting soft and drooping. However unless there's some sort of load on the material, it's unlikely it will do this under it's own weight until it get to more than half its melting temperature. So if the oven gets ridiculously hot by mistake the sprocket could warp. Otherwise, you'd have to be riding your bike in the oven to cause a problem. AND- we are talking about steel here, which has a much higher melting point

"See Dad, that Metallurgical Engineering degree is good for something! "
We are not talking about drooping or melting of metal. Strength is the issue.....
Reliability is the issure...

If something is not powdercoated right (like a wheel) what happens? cracks.... structure problems.... Now put that same logic into a extremely stressful area like a sprocket with HIGH rpms......... Would you trust it?

I do believe that the degrees of the engineers at AFAM or other sprocket companies would have come up with this idea by now if it was so great. (and cheap to do!)

JMO! and you have yours. Go for it if you think that it is so great.

I just wouldn't fuck with it.

Safety first....

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well, now that we've discussed this long enough for the orginal guy to need a new bike already- I guess there's no point in whipping this horse any longer
lol

Besides, you probably have a point with there being a downside. If the powdercoating was done in yellow, it would actually slow it down by knocking 5 or 10 hp off of it
(now we're talkin' Gixxer science
)

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Well, now that we've discussed this long enough for the orginal guy to need a new bike already- I guess there's no point in whipping this horse any longer
lol

Besides, you probably have a point with there being a downside. If the powdercoating was done in yellow, it would actually slow it down by knocking 5 or 10 hp off of it
(now we're talkin' Gixxer science
)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Together_Rising -

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/mcbilletrearspkt.htm

they do M/C Billet Aircraft Rear Sprockets, they might do them in the colour you are after.
does not say what colours but you could shoot them an email or give them a shout down the line, and see what they have to say

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.