Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was riding on the freeway and noticed the red key light on the dash came on for a few seconds and I lost power... A few seconds later I gained power again. Also my rev gauge was going zero and then back again.

Obviously the key light is the immobilizer so does that mean it is engaging randomly while I'm riding?

Any ideas? THANKS IN ADVANCE

2006 GSXR 750

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,416 Posts
Other than basic electrical troubleshooting, no. I've never messed with a bike that has the immobilizer.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,147 Posts
You could start by measuring the battery voltage when the ignition is off, once you switch it to on, and at 3-5000rpm once you've started it. If that checks out, you'll have to troubleshoot the wiring between the immobilizer and the ECU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check battery is charged first, then check regulator/rectifier & stator (charging system) as mentioned above. Extremely low battery can do some weird things with the electronics and cluster.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,703 Posts
It occurs to me that the ECM may have lost power for a small interval, which caused it to reacquire the immobilizer when power came back on. It wasn't producing a tach signal during that time, which is why the tach went to zero. A common reason for brief loss of power is the interlock relay tripped because the side stand switch bounced open. So you might not have both springs on the side stand or something else happened that's related to the switch not remaining closed.

·
7,703 Posts
^Not the smartest move unless it's a racer. The kickstand switch prevents you from riding with the kickstand down, which is a recipe for a crash. Fix the problem. It might be missing springs, a worn out or loose pivot, a failing switch, or something else.

·
Super Moderator
14,988 Posts
^Not the smartest move unless it's a racer. The kickstand switch prevents you from riding with the kickstand down, which is a recipe for a crash. Fix the problem. It might be missing springs, a worn out or loose pivot, a failing switch, or something else.
+1 Do not ride a street bike without the kickstand switch. :wacko

·
Registered
3 Posts
I totally agree with you guys! I just wanted to know where the problem is coming from as I have readed a lot of topic what may cause it and then fix it. Now that I know where it is coming from, further troubleshooting have to be done :)

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
That "red key" light isn't a red key. That symbol is the temp sensor symbol and the red light is an FI warning.

One of five things may have happened...

Your sidestand spring is weak, your sidestand is loose, your sensor is dickered, the sidestand connection was loose, or the other end of the sidestand circuit was loose.

·
7,703 Posts
^The red key is indeed that, but only on immobiliizer equipped models. On K6 600 it's between the low fuel and high beam indicators, so it's probably the same on 750's. It's blanked out on non-immobilizers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts