Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to replace my rear shock line with stainless and understand that the shock should be recharged with nitrogen ran int to someone last night that said he was on a training course by race tech that indicated it was ok to recharge the shock with air does anybody know is that ok

------------------
86 totally non stock

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've "heard" that recharging a rear shock can be done by taking it down to your local welding shop and they would charge you a nominal fee (like $10) to recharge. No idea about the air thing.

------------------
We are men of action, lies do not become us. Are there rocks ahead? If there are, we'll all be dead.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Air no, nitrogen yes. Just had my 86 Fox Shock recharged and oil changed. I'm guessing that the nitrogen gas is more pure and won't cause any deteriation inside the shock.

------------------

[This message has been edited by OldSchoolGixxer (edited 04-08-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Like I said in general discussion, nitrogen good, oxygen make hot oil go boom. The only time you use air is in an air shock, ie Fournales, Harley touring models, shit like that where oil/gas never come in contact under a superheated, pressurised condition.

------------------

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah, the nitrogen is in there because it won't change it's volume as it changes temperature. Where as air (22% oxygen) will change it's volume with temperature creating a shock that is soft when cold and stiff when hot...no fun. Just make sure the welding shop knows the correct pressure.

------------------
What a long strange trip it's been...
and still just a rookie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts