Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Yearning for a higher post count...
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this bike last year but the previous owner apparently never followed through with the recall (Front Brake Master Cylinder). He sent me the notice so I plan to bring it to the Suzuki shop this week to have the recall fixed. Learned from the Suzuki rep that this recall came out in 2013.

Have any of you guys gotten this work done. Any problems before the fix?

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
got that phone call 20 times from Suzuki, never dunnit, bike got jacked.. wished I would have went in and just grabbed the lever, "I'l do it" my shop was way cool Aurora Suzuki..

albeit I never had a braking issue other than heat soak at the track, nothing a race sintered pad wouldn't overcome, still like to have that cylinder tho..

check at recalls don't org if there was a time limit on getting it done, usually is, 14 years you might have to pay for it?

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check at recalls don't org if there was a time limit on getting it done, usually is, 14 years you might have to pay for it?
I was able to set up an appointment at my nearest Suzuki shop and it's free of charge to fix. I actually never heard of a recall 6 years later but here we are.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seen videos where the original mc fitted totally failed. Check them out on youtube.
Yeah i plan to browse around a bit. Might as well just fix the issue.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Known issue on multiple threads but none since 2018. Hopefully most have already fix the issue.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Call your dealer, Have them order parts before hand. Do it. it is a nice upgrade. New one is better, and I think they replace the front brake lines too.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,323 Posts
Coating on the MC return spring would react with brake fluid and produce bubbles. MC bleeder design wouldn't fully bleed. So over time, the brake got mushy. New design has a different coating on the spring and a change in the bleeder position. No biggie as long as the installing tech isn't a numbskull.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Call your dealer, Have them order parts before hand. Do it. it is a nice upgrade. New one is better, and I think they replace the front brake lines too.
Scheduled appointment at Dealer days ago; 100% going to have them replace it.

Reactions: Serpent

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coating on the MC return spring would react with brake fluid and produce bubbles. MC bleeder design wouldn't fully bleed. So over time, the brake got mushy. New design has a different coating on the spring and a change in the bleeder position. No biggie as long as the installing tech isn't a numbskull.
That's my hope. The bike I bought wasn't ridden much; only 5200 miles when I picked it up. For a 2007, they hardly rode the bike. the rear brakes were shot so since they were never replaced, I quickly changed those as they were Suzuki OEM brake pads.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed the rear brake pads that were never changed on the 2007 GSXR 600.

Brakes were shot; Barely any meat whatsoever.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,323 Posts
My 2005 has the factory rear pads..... and they look almost new.

·
Registered
508 Posts
No, they don't. Sorry.

All you have to do is call any Suzuki dealer with your VIN # and ask if any recalls not done.
It's easy for them and you. Takes less than a minute when they get on the site.

Changed the rear brake pads that were never changed on the 2007 GSXR 600.

Brakes were shot; Barely any meat whatsoever.

This is on a 2007 bike that only has 5200 miles on it? LOL.
That's the hallmark of a squid rider that always uses the rear brakes.

They way it should be, yup.

If you want to get the bike stopped, and stopped quick,- the fronts are all you really need.
Yea, you can touch the rear some to help settle it sometimes, but to use it almost exclusively every stop/turn?

We won't even start on the clutch less up shifting.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, they don't. Sorry.

All you have to do is call any Suzuki dealer with your VIN # and ask if any recalls not done.
It's easy for them and you. Takes less than a minute when they get on the site.

This is on a 2007 bike that only has 5200 miles on it? LOL.
That's the hallmark of a squid rider that always uses the rear brakes.

They way it should be, yup.

If you want to get the bike stopped, and stopped quick,- the fronts are all you really need.
Yea, you can touch the rear some to help settle it sometimes, but to use it almost exclusively every stop/turn?

We won't even start on the clutch less up shifting.

Yup, it took me a couple of mins for Recall center to set up the appointment with my nearest Dealer. I'm all set.

I know 5200 miles so yeah it's true the prior owner was a squid. haha. I almost never use the rear brake; mostly engine brake with some trail braking.

·
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Previous owner smashhhed these rear brakes. Luckily now changed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts