Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of rebuilding my forks with race tech springs. What all do i need to buy to complete the process?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Depending on which bike you have you may need a way to compress the spring. It really helps if you have inverted forks.

Other than that, a pipe cutter, a way to measure oil height, the proper metric wrenches, possibly a drill with a 3/8" bit, a measuring tape (preferably metric), and fork oil.

Since you will have the forks apart, you may as well change the oil.

Spacer material should be included but if not it's nice to have 1.25in (32mm) OD with a .035 wall thickness aluminum tubing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That's a tough call. If you are putting stiffer springs in you may not have enough rebound damping unless you modify the shim stack on the stock rebound valve or replace it with a better valve.

I know the 04 750 rebound valve was ok but I'm not sure about the 03 stuff.

I'm not exactly sure what the stock oil weight is to tell you the truth. It seams like most suspension guys are using 5w oil. That's what I'm using in both my 01 750 race bike and 04 750 street bike. Both have had the internals replaced along with stiffer springs.

Please provide a bit more information on what you have in mind to do. Race/street/trackday/dual purpose? Rider weight?

Also try this before you change anything. Turn the rebound adjusters all the way in (top adjuster) and, while holding the front brake, push down on the bike hard and let it come back up on it's own. If it's really slow then you may be ok with the stock valving. If it comes up fast and bounces or pogo's then internals would be a good idea. Heavier oil is a band-aid fix and only masks the problem.

Hopefully Leanangle (Jody) will get in on this for some input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts