Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some suspension advice from the guru's. Before I ask let's be clear as to my level of riding - I'm far from setting any records and the only way I'll ever get a sponsorship is to have plastic surgery and change my name to Ben Spies. I got into track riding about 2 years ago and just got moved into the advanced group. For those familiar with the Northeast tracks, I was running 1:05's the other week at beave run on an 04 R6 (like I said - not breaking any records!).

I recently purchased an 06 GSXR750 that I would like to turn into a track bike over the next year. As I bought the bike it has an Ohlins rear on it and an Ohlins dampener. Over the winter I was hoping to get the front forks taken care of.

So now the question (finally) - what are you recommending for front fork work? I believe these are my options with price (not including labor). I read the thread on the AK-20 and they sound like the way to go, just not sure!

1) respring and valve with Penske internals - $800?
2) traxxion AK-20 internals $1000
3) ohlins 20mm kit $?????
4) ohlins 25mm kit $1600
5) ohlins ROAD & TRACK FORKS (R&T) $2200

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I'm just an ordinary guy that likes to ride fast - at the end of the day I would like to keep the cost down! I do hope to be running a bit quicker at the end of next year than now which is when the gixxer would be put on the track. Also who do you recommend for doing the work - I'm handy, but taking apart forks seems a bit intimidating!

Thanks for the help!

BTW - I also posted this in suspension/geometry - not sure if everyone checks the other areas.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Just send em to GMD. They'll respring, revalve with Penske internals, and set em up for you--I believe total price is $550, but don't quote me on it.

Give a shout to [email protected] and he'll give you the low done. Feel free to drop my name and tell him I sent you and he'll take good care of you.

·
i recommend John at CTR. http://www.ctrsuspensions.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.pl
very cool guy, and he knows his shit.

as far a internals go, you said something about keeping cost down, maybe a rebuild with race tech valves? i've got two sets of forks set up. one with race tech valves and one with penske valves.
fyi, the penske forks are on the bike and are way more adjustable.

if i did it all again, i'd bite the bullet and go with ohlins 25mm kit. :cheers

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I’d have to say go with either Peter Kates or Mike Martire all the way. Both run G.M.D. Computrack shops here in the Northeast. Here’s their contact info:

GMD Boston
Peter Kates
11 Summer Street
Bellingham, MA 02019
508-876-9407
[email protected]
www.computrackboston.com

GMD New York (actually located in Connecticut)
Mike Martire
282 Woodmont Rd. 16
Milford, CT 06460
203-876-2477
[email protected]
www.computracknyc.com

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like everyone is leaning towards respringing and valving VS a 20mm kit with new pistons. Can someone shed a little light on what the extra $500 buys?

The 25mm kit sounds nice but its a bit expensive! Glad to see we are leaning towards the less expensive end :)

thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now that is educational! Thanks for the info! sounds like valving and springing is the way to go. thanks to all

WebCrush - sent some points your way for the educational lesson :)

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
What the hell is going on in here!?!? :wacko

Is it my imagination or was Adam just helpful to a rookie!?!? :blink

Another sign of the nearing apocolypse? You be the judge... :scratch

:lol

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'd agree that the best bang for the buck when it comes to fork upgrades is a Respring/Revalve just like everyone is suggesting.:D

:cheers

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I had the older GMD valving in my gixxer forks. They were the dual speed valving and they felt really good. I believe the GMD valves are the same as GP suspension valves.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
I belive the GMD and GP suspension valve are not only the same as each other, but the same as the Penkse's as well as the three are closely related to each others R&D together.

GMD also did a lot of testing for GPS's 25mm cartridge kits as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks again for all the solid feedback (to a rookie :biggrin ) - this track day hobby has exposed how lmuch I have to learn and how little the local shops know!

thanks again

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thomus said:
while were at it, i need a rear shock rebuild, anyone (esspecially wsmc guys) know a good (read cheap) guy to rebuild a twin clicker?
can't help you on a reference - but you raise a good question - how often should forks, rear shocks, and dampeners be rebuilt?

I do 10-15 track days per year which is probably a fraction of the WERA/CCS guys!

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
blurry said:
thanks again for all the solid feedback (to a rookie :biggrin ) - this track day hobby has exposed how lmuch I have to learn and how little the local shops know!

thanks again
Did you say 'Hobby'?:scratch

The correct term is 'Addiction'... Say it with me... 'A_Dik_Shun' ;) Gooooooooooooood. :lol:punk
:cheers

And I'd say fork/shock rebuilds won't be necessary very often doing 10-15 trackdays a year... Maybe rebuild them once a year?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.