Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some suspension advice from the guru's. Before I ask let's be clear as to my level of riding - I'm far from setting any records and the only way I'll ever get a sponsorship is to have plastic surgery and change my name to Ben Spies. I got into track riding about 2 years ago and just got moved into the advanced group. For those familiar with the Northeast tracks, I was running 1:05's the other week at beave run on an 04 R6.

I recently purchased an 06 GSXR750 that I would like to turn into a track bike over the next year. As I bought the bike it has an Ohlins rear on it and an Ohlins dampener. Over the winter I was hoping to get the front forks taken care of.

So now the question (finally) - what are you recommending for front fork work? I believe these are my options with price (not including labor).

1) respring and valve with Penske internals - $800?
2) traxxion AK-20 internals $1000
3) ohlins 20mm kit $?????
4) ohlins 25mm kit $1600
5) ohlins ROAD & TRACK FORKS (R&T) $2200

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I'm just an ordinary guy that likes to ride fast - at the end of the day I would like to keep the cost down! I do hope to be running a bit quicker at the end of next year than now which is when the gixxer would be put on the track. Also who do you recommend for doing the work - I'm handy, but taking apart forks seems a bit intimidating!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
i would go with the 25mm, just as good as the R&T and if its strictly a track bike you may consider the harder Race valve internal option which is a few hundred more but strictly setup for track and smooth road conditions, if you want more info call Dan at Kyle Racing, well known and they know their stuff

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Heres another idea for you http://www.le-suspension.com/services/forks.html he does the jordan race team forks..... im sending mine out to him this week from what i have heard the are fantastic and perform just as good as most expensive aftermarket forks using your old ones....

Chris

·
Registered
240 Posts
thx for alls info. i'm in same boat at the OP, just got in my ohlins rear and damper and lookin to get fork work, glad he beat me to the question :cheers
is there a big difference (other than $600) b/t 25mm and R&T? i can hang with dropping 1600, but 2200 seems excessive for newb rider.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Just some facts. IF this a track bike only a 25mm cartridge is second to none. If it's a street bike the 25mm kit WILL NOT be as good as the 20mm kits. Racetracks are smooth. Streets are not. What I think you should do is respring and revalve with Racetech. Very cheap and if you just went into the "Adv" group it will work just fine. I raced all last year with Racetech and NEVER had a problem until I became to fast for them. There will be a mark at some point that you outgrow things. It won't be 1 year I'll tell you that. I also had a great tuner in my pit. My teammate Leanangle. Install those and then spend the rest on track schooling. At yer level you will NOT be able to use the 25mm kits to there potential. Waste of money unless you're the type that braggs that you have Ohlins 25mm cartridges in you're forks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ya, i've read that before, it's some long ass reading. good stuff tho. who cares which one is better. when you're good enough to tell the difference, you'll be able to figure it out yourself.

i just bought a 03 gixxer 600, and just bought 06 gixxer 600 front end/calipers/mc for it. i'm thinking of taking cestodes advice and getting racetech to do valves springs till i'm good enough at the track.

·
Registered
157 Posts
25mm Cartridges is the best. Ohlins says if you put these in your forks will be just like the R & T forks. I had the racetec valving w/ springs and sent my forks to Thermosman suspensions. What a differance. He charged me 1500. Best money I've spend on my bike. I sent him my Ohlins shock also.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
OKay.....there is absolutely no reason to through money away on a 25mm kit, Ohlins forks or Traxxion 20mm cartridges at your level. In fact, after running WERA national series and speaking with many....Ohlins 25mm kit is the bomb once you are up to speed, but not great for a novice.

If you are a Ohlins fan, why not just get it revalved with Ohlins valving and springs? It doesn't matter if you go race-tech, penske, Ohlins, GP or GMD....they are all about the same price and the tuner makes the difference not the valving. A good tuner will make anything work wonders. A bad tuner will make a good set-up suck.

I really like GP valving and it is actually fairly well priced. If you choose the GP route I will service and install them for $150 plus parts and oil if you are interested. I say GP because I know them really well. PM me if your interested and I can give you a total price and you can compare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.