Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to see what you all thought was a good tire for my 86 Gixxer 750 with stock 18 inch rear wheel. I know many people like to change out the rear wheel to a 17 and I may do this later but for now I'm sticking with the 18. I'd like to go with the widest possible tire without altering the bike. I don't generally go over 130 MPH and that is only very infrequently. I don't do nearly as much twisties as I would like so I don't need the cutting edge tire out there. I'd like to find something high end but also with a tire compound that will last a while. What do you think?

------------------

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery!

[This message has been edited by Talisian (edited 03-18-2001).]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
tire selection is limited, but on my old gixxers i've always used metzeler me1 comp k on the rear. they stick well and don't wear too quick.

don't go more than 1 or 2 sizes wider than stock, though, it'll slow down your steering. metzeler says (or used to say), that these tires can be used on narrower rims - their non-radial design means that rim width isn't quite as critical as it is with radials. but i wouldn't go more than 2 sizes wider than stock.

for the front, i used to run metzeler me33 comp k's. if you try these, just so you know, the tread pattern looks backwards.

instead of the diagonal grooves facing towards each other and down when you look at them from the front of the bike, they point towards each other upwards. that's the way they're designed. and despite that, they work ver well in the rain.

i've also heard good things about the avon am23's - you might want to give them a try.

these 18 inch tires are more expensive than their 17 inch counterparts, unfortunately.

------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought a set of AVON AM23/24. I don't have them mounted yet but will let you know what I think. What ever you decide check out mawonline.com, they have the lowest prices around for tires.

------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
My fault, I bought the Pirelli Dragon GTS MTR23/24 combo not the Avon. I found that these were the only superbike tires avaliable in 18 inch, all other brands offered a sport/touring tire.....not.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the metzeler me1's and avon am23's aren't sport/touring tires. the metzelers were the tires to run years ago.

how much did those pirellis run you?

------------------

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I checked with MAW and the Metzler ME1 160/60VB18 is not available on their site anymore- this is two sizes larger then stock and what I have on now. I'd like to stay with the ME1 so do you guys know if it is available elsewhere at a similar price to MAW- they list similar Metzlers at about 113 dollars. I could go down to 150/60 or I
could choose another Metzler like the ME-Z1, ME-Z2, ME-Z3, or ME-Z4. They have a higher speed rating to I guess a softer compound and therefore less tread life. What do you all think of the ME-Z series? Right now I'm thinking of either a 160/60ZR18 ME-Z4 or a 150/70VB18 ME1. The ME-Z4 goes for $123.95 at MAW- the 150/70VB18 ME1 goes for 113.95.

Hmm I just checked metzeler's site and the ME1 160/60VB18 is still available. Trouble is it's expensive as hell at places besides MAW. I did a search of the net and only found a couple places that sold the ME1 and it was a lot more expensive. Bikebandit was more then 60 dollars more then MAW.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Talisian (edited 03-23-2001).]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been there, done that. I don't see the 160/60VB18 do you? There is a a Metzeler after the ME1 Laser COMP K 140/70VB18 that does not show a size..it might be the one I'm looking for but I don't know.

------------------

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I may just go with the ME Z1. I found a review of it and it was a good one. The Z2- Z4 seem to be more for sport touring. They said the Z1 had great longevity too. Thanks for the help.

here's the review if interested:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/mez1.html

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the mez's are radials, me's are non-radials.

keep in mind, radials don't really take kindly to being fitted on rims that are more than 1 size too narrow. you can get away with it on belted tires because of their design, but with radials, you may end up with less traction at the tire edges, and different handling characteristics.

i used to run 170 me1's - they cost like $170 each.

------------------

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well crap, I didn't know that about radials vs non-radials. I already ordered the 160/60ZR18 ME-Z1. I sure hope it's okay. I had a 160/60 ME1 before. The stock size is 140/60.

------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jeff-

I found them on clearance at MAW, with shipping, front and rear $220 US. The info I found on the respective web sites had the Metzler and Avon listed in the sport touring sections of their sites.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i took a look at metzeler's site - the me1 is listed both in the sport/touring and supersport sections. the difference being that the ones in the sport/touring section are h rated, and the ones in the supersport section are v rated.

i knew i wasn't riding around on h rated sport/touring tires for all these years.

as for the avons, i guess that it's because the am's are a pretty old design now, and is no longer considered a 'supersport' tire.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 03-24-2001).]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Why don't you just put on some 87-89 wheels and then you'll have more of a selection of tires to choose from. It's a relatively easy swap . Just have a machine shop make you some wheel spacers. I have PM wheels on my 86 with a 5.5 inch wide Chicane on the back and a 180 MEZ3 race compound.

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts