Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fella's
Hope everyone is hanging in there with the covid situation.

I'm putting an 08 back on the street from the track.

I bought a rear tail light from Amazon and a rear wiring harness. The tail light fits perfectly appears to be thr right one except the wiring harness doesn't connect to the tail light.

Does anyone happen to have a picture or have an old tail light that they can look at see what the tail light plug looks like?

This is what I'm working with. Blue plug in the harness, below is the tail light.

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,127 Posts
Was the Amazon part a Suzuki part? Your finger blocks part of the tail light connector but it looks like it may not have any alignment keys and possibly no retaining tab. Is that so?

This is for a K5/K6 but I'd expect yours to be the same (including the color of the lamp housing plastic):

The Suzuki part was made by Stanley and is so marked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey BillV
Thanks for the response. No the Amazon was a China part. I've since returned it and ordered a OEM Suzuki tail light. I'm seriously rethinking this Amazon /China society we've become. I went to my local dealer and we looked at the OEM, definitely different housing than the Amazon product.

The struggle that I and lots of people have to get used to is the price and speed delivery. Example of this tailight: Amazon $35 and 4 day shipping (or less), OEM $165 and 7-10days.

·
8,127 Posts
Here's the K7/K8 OEM part:

Note the Stanley markings. I'm astonished that someone would make one that doesn't have a connector without a locking tab. There are some used ones on ebay for $50. Beware of anything that is unmarked or with extra leads, typically via holes drilled into the body. The leads are associated with modifying it so that the turn signals are part of the tail light. That doesn't meet the DOT separation requirements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the picture. That's the one I need. I ordered a new OEM unit from my local Suzuki house. Gave me a bit of a price break. Trouble with eBay stuff coming to Canada is shipping, duty and exchange. Price you see on eBay is typically double or more by the time it lands.

·
8,127 Posts
"Trouble with eBay stuff coming to Canada is shipping, duty and exchange. Price you see on eBay is typically double or more by the time it lands."
Are there also issues like that with ebay.uk?

P.S. Here's an aftermarket part that doesn't have the alignment keys but does have the locking tab. It also has the extra leads and you can see in some of the pics that the side LEDs are amber, probably for a turn signal function.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, The previous owner of my bike swapped in a who knows what china tail light and also changed the factory harness plug. I just ordered the new tail light and realized the harness was swapped as well. Do you know if it is at all possible to get just a new plug and not the whole rear tail wiring?

·
8,127 Posts
"Do you know if it is at all possible..."
It's going to depend on what was done to the rear harness when the connector was changed. He probably cut the leads and you might be running short. Assuming that you have enough, this probably is the connector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts