Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike was weaving. I had the bike worked on a while ago. Before I took it in recently for steering bearing work I noticed the rear tire pressure was at 42 psi. I lowered the pressure to 37.

I now notice when I am cranked over the bike wallows when it hits a bump. It scares the shit out of me.

Will upping the preload and compression help this out?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
YEs.

It's like, when u're gasing out of a corner, the bike kinda Squats. And like u said, the word to describe the action is, "wallows".

Crank up the rear preload and damping accordingly.

Recommned psi is 36.

KaTz

[ 04-20-2002, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: KaTz ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You shouldnt use preload to fix this...

Use the compression valve... Remember that your preload is for setting the sag on the bike... THAT IS IT!

Set your sag to like 30mm from toped out to eith you on the bike.

John

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just loading up the compressions should help with this? No need to change rebound?

The preload on the rear is ok. Might change a little with the weather warming up.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wallowing action results when the rate of change of the suspension (i.e. damping) is unsuited to either the spring rate/preload or cornering load. I'd definately start by increasing the rear rebound, then the compression.

It's my experience that too little rebound generally causes wallows, while too little compression makes initial turn-in feel strange and has the bike diving too quickly on it's suspension, but be careful not to increase the damping to the point that the bike will no longer track bumps, smooth track settings do not work on streets unless they're glass smooth. Too much damping will have the suspension packing down on a series of dumps and give an unyielding feel, effectively masking the rider from what the tires are doing (which in this case is probably sliding).

Try setting the rear rebound to 3/4 full hard and the compression to maybe 1/2, that's a good place to start. I'd recommend 34psi in the rear tire for general screwing around- 42 is nuts. Good luck and make your changes in small increments.

Gary

[ 04-20-2002, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: fastbike34 ]

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both compression and rebound maxed out on the rear. I think its time for a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I can rebuild your shock and make it WAY better then stock ever could be. With a spring for your wieght (if needed). A new shaft that is larger bore and a bit longer (longer makes the bike sit a bit higher and turn in faster). The cost is 200 USD with a spring (if needed). This is plus shipping. Im in California. If you want any info please let me know. If you just want a rebuild of your stock shock, it is like 50 bucks...

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts